Learning a Foreign Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
France
My apologies, we all know where this thread will end up.

Just some snippets from an ex-pat site, ( http://brittany.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/228535/0/speaking-and-understanding-the-language/12 )
I thought some might be interested:
I have been to lessons, I listen to French radio ( do not have a TV) and I am immersed in the French / Breton speaking community. I work with the French on a daily basis - none of whom speak English.
I am 55 years old and can manage to learn other new tricks. Why is my ear so appalling for French.
Anyone else find that this language escapes them however hard they try?
After 15 yrs Im nearly there - I never was a very good learner!
I have been here for 10 years and still struggle with my French on a daily basis.

Sponsored Links
Through lack of practice, I have forgotten almost all of the French (A level) that I once knew - I reckon that I could pick it up pretty quickly though, if I ever spent an extended spell there.
(Sadly, I have also forgotten pretty much all of the latin and ancient greek that I studied as well - happy days though :) )

Had to study German at senior school. Hated every minute, found it absolutely pointless, although somehow managed to get an E at GCSE for it...

Hardly used a word since, I just felt the whole exercise was absolutely pointless trying to teach students something they have zero interest for. Time could have been better used learning a subject that pupils actually found stimulated them and they had an interest in learning.

Total immersion is the fastest way to learn a language.

For me this was a 10 week course in electronic desk calculators in Germany in an area where very few people spoke English, the course was in German and being in self catering accommodation I also had to learn the words to buy food etc.

It was so total that I often think in German when working on electronics.

Sponsored Links
Thing is, when we're taught a foreign language, we're taught to speak it (and listen to it) fairly slowly. When we actually get abroad and the locals speak, they speak it at their normal speed , which is usually a fair bit faster than we are used to listening to that language at. I learn't a bit of Spanish some years ago. Enough to get around (or so I thought) Until I went to Spain and listening to the locals, was completely different from listening to the teacher at the adult learning class (and she was Spanish)
By the same token, a girl I know went to live and work in Barcelona , three years ago. She tells me, she struggled with the language at first, but learnt through her friends /workmates and is now very fluent in the language.

Thing is, when we're taught a foreign language, we're taught to speak it (and listen to it) fairly slowly. When we actually get abroad and the locals speak, they speak it at their normal speed , which is usually a fair bit faster than we are used to listening to that language at. I learn't a bit of Spanish some years ago. Enough to get around (or so I thought) Until I went to Spain and listening to the locals, was completely different from listening to the teacher at the adult learning class (and she was Spanish)
By the same token, a girl I know went to live and work in Barcelona , three years ago. She tells me, she struggled with the language at first, but learnt through her friends /workmates and is now very fluent in the language.

Non English speakers also suffer likewise when they come here and listen to all the different dialects we have in the UK.

I struggle to understand Norcs's posts sometimes. Maybe if he spent some time with English speaking people you never know......

Non English speakers also suffer likewise when they come here and listen to all the different dialects we have in the UK.

Even English speakers do, mate :p
Whey aye man!
John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back