Learn the Lingo?

Sponsored Links
Myself,if I was a shop keeper I would be more worried about the shoplifters,robbers rather than someone who can't speak English.As long as they pay thats all that matters.Best regards.

As a shopkeeper I care about conversations, how can you do that when there's nothing to converse about?

Sponsored Links
LOL . would like the money.I do know what you mean,but as I said the money is the most important thing in business.

OK, so lets talk business.

Do you know that by engaging in conversation with your customer you start building trust? Customer likes to come back more often = more money.

Over to you :LOL:

Of course verbal comms with customers is most important and the most important part in any business is your customer.I don't need to tell you that,you as a business person would know this better than anyone.
Is there a high propotion of your customers have difficulties with English?
Are these customer regulars?

rommy said:
Is there a high propotion of your customers have difficulties with English?
:LOL: :LOL:
English is my second language, most of my customers are full-blood English, but we get along fine, conversations are flowing

I'm so glad to hear that woodyoulike.What is your first language?

Lol.Well,I have never met a cloggless Dutch- shopkeeper in old blighty.
:D

i bet if you shouted 'any body dropped a twenty pound note' you'd be surprised at just who understands the lingo, when only two minutes previous they didn't know what, 'that'll be another 30p please' meant. ;)

bet if you shouted 'any body dropped a twenty pound note' you'd be surprised at just who understands the lingo, when only two minutes previous they didn't know what, 'that'll be another 30p please' meant

Went into a Chinese restaurant once to try and get the owner to repair a leak on an old lead common in his back yard, leak was that bad his neighbours hardly had any water. Guy was giving it the full "me no English" routine

My mate said to me (quietly and quickly) "dig the box out and go get the stoppy key, we'll have to just shut this one off and come back next week"

Surprisingly enough, not only did the guy understand us, he actually responded with "you're not turning my f**kin' water off on a Friday, weekends are my busiest times. How am I supposed to run a business with no water?"

He agreed to get it repaired pretty quickly...

I was born in the UK, lived a lot of years in Australia and I'm now living in Germany (wifes German). I've been fighting with the language here for a few years now and every day I learn a bit more but I don't think I'll ever hold a conversation when there isn't a couple of words I don't understand. The thing is here, if you try there's always someone who will help you out.
On the other side, there's often times when I have to speak to my wife in English when we are at, for instance the hardware, because I just don't know the German words or technical terms for things. Thats just the way it is.
There's another side though, because for most of the younger people here it's part of their schooling to learn English for a few years and I know when I'm having a conversation with my wife in front of them they can understand what we're saying but they don't say 'mum ' and it's their country,and they don't have to :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back