I'm not racist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But why cant immigrants learn how to say "10 lambert and butler"? Or "2 electric tokens please" :evil:

Why do all Chinese people play the lottery, yet the only English they know is "pen". Not "please may I borrow a pen to fill in my numbers". Just "pen" and a bit of a writing movement with their hand. :evil:

Why do <people whose first language is not English> come into the shop and start talking to each other in front of me in their first language? Do they realise how rude it is?

All the above are rude, in my opinion. As I say, im not racist, I just dont like the above examples of rudeness.

I go on holiday for 2 weeks and I learn a bit of local lingo, to get by in shops and bars. These people come to LIVE AND WORK here, yet dont know a single word.

.../Discuss. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
they don't have to?

actually, it's not just immigrants......ANYone can be rude. It's just more obvious with them. If I came over there whether to visit or to live, and did something similar, it would probably be "blamed" on me being American, not the fact that I was being insensitive or rude. :confused:

Crafty said:
But why cant immigrants learn how to say "10 lambert and butler"? Or "2 electric tokens please" :evil:

Why do all Chinese people play the lottery, yet the only English they know is "pen". Not "please may I borrow a pen to fill in my numbers". Just "pen" and a bit of a writing movement with their hand. :evil:

Why do <people whose first language is not English> come into the shop and start talking to each other in front of me in their first language? Do they realise how rude it is?

All the above are rude, in my opinion. As I say, im not racist, I just dont like the above examples of rudeness.

I go on holiday for 2 weeks and I learn a bit of local lingo, to get by in shops and bars. These people come to LIVE AND WORK here, yet dont know a single word.

Your 100% racists

ps I agree 100% what you say but :LOL: ;)

mmmmm put yoursef in a spannish town in the mountains or anywhere else for that matter
you will try and learn what you have to to get what you want but lazyness in general stops you doing more than you have to to get by :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
You missed one - "No Eenglis, no Eenglis"

You'll probably find that the majority can speak at least a little bit of English, but they're too (delete as applicable) lazy/ignorant/feel they're owed something, to bother.

Having said that, I have spoken to a few really good guys who genuinely tried and they absolutely despise the ones that don't bother.

It's the same in every walk of life, there's always one that [zb's] it up for everyone else - there's just so many immigrants now that it seems like the majority.

And annoying as it is, if you're on holiday, you might try to speak to the locals in their language, but if you're discussing with your other half which flavour milkshake to buy, you're gonna do it in English.

I never used to be racist, but now? I'm not so sure anymore

One of the problems with people speaking English as a second language is that we expect them to understand every nuance of this incredibly versatile language.

Because English is such a richly expressive language we use subtle nuance to completely alter the context of speech in a way virtually impossible for someone speaking English as a second language to understand.

Take a look at the composition of Spanish – it is unbelievably crude and unwieldy. What would be the normal reaction of a Spanish person when speaking English? My guess is that he or she would translate literally, which wouldn’t come out too well.

Remember, there is no word in German for ‘fluffy’

arron1980 said:
And annoying as it is, if you're on holiday, you might try to speak to the locals in their language, but if you're discussing with your other half which flavour milkshake to buy, you're gonna do it in English.
Our local pub has it's own fun when we - regulars - have a heated discussion once in a while :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Crafty said:
I'm not racist
Crafty said:
and some more examples
Crafty said:
How would you distinguish between a racist who thinks all immigrants are rude, and you?

Softus said:
How would you distinguish between a racist who thinks all immigrants are rude, and you?
Not sure where you want to take this Softus, but I think you're taken it out of porportions.
Or is nowadays every comment made on immigrant racists? Well, let me tell you then...... (or in other words: don't get me started - but as an immigrant I take a lot with more than a grain of salt)

WoodYouLike said:
Not sure where you want to take this Softus, but I think you're taken it out of porportions.
I'm merely asking a question to provoke thought. Why - how do you think I've taken it?

Crafty said:
These people come to LIVE AND WORK here, yet dont know a single word.

Just seen Alex Ferguson's post match comments on Sky news... understand what you mean.

One thing I find more annoying, is when you go into a shop/pub in North/West Wales (usually in a tourist area) and the people in the shop suddenly switch from English to Welsh as soon as they realise you are English (despite the fact that they own a tourist shop and English tourists are their main income)
You go anywhere in the Valleys where Welsh is more widely spoken and they do the opposite. They will switch to English in your presence. (probably why Proper Welsh hate the "gogs")

Softus said:
WoodYouLike said:
I'm merely asking a question to provoke thought. Why - how do you think I've taken it?
Just the way you've asked that thought-provoking question, that's all.

Sponsored Links
Back