I'm not racist

Softus said:
Out of proportions Softus (and you do start to sound like Joe90!)
And if the only remaining argument you have is to opine that I sound like joe-90

Just remember that I wasn't the person who introduced the words "racist" and "immigrant" into this topic.
Hence:
Crafty wrote:
All the above are rude, in my opinion. As I say, im not racist, I just dont like the above examples of rudeness.
To which you thought-provokingly asked:
How would you distinguish between a racist who thinks all immigrants are rude, and you?
That's what I mean with sounding like Joe90, taking all that is said (but not read properly or taken in due account properly) to one word

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
Crafty said:
All the above are rude, in my opinion. As I say, im not racist, I just dont like the above examples of rudeness.
To which you thought-provokingly asked:

Softus said:
How would you distinguish between a racist who thinks all immigrants are rude, and you?
No. I didn't. My question was aimed at the bits that you've just accused me of not reading properly, namely:

Crafty said:
But why cant immigrants learn how to say...
Why do all Chinese people play the lottery, yet the only English they know is "pen".
Why do <people whose first language is not English> come into the shop and start talking to each other in front of me in their first language?
So, the person making the assumptions, and not reading things properly, is you, WoodYouLike.

As I've already observed, you'd do better to leave the question I asked to the person of whom I asked it. :rolleyes:

Whatever Softus, whatever. Read it as you like, understand it as you like.

to Softus on this one.....Your point was taken.

to clarify my point....I am not racist if I choose to disagree with someone who has a different opinion to mine....if let's say...that person was Chinese and was able to actually get their view across in a way that I could understand...not necessarily language...but in 'some' way. or if that person was not white....or not educated...or was not heterosexual.,etc....and if I didnt like that person, it doesnt mean I dont like their entire race. You (and I mean "you" in a generalized way) need to keep an open mind.
I think all of us should learn a better way of communicating...even if on an individual basis...someone 'grunts' at me because they need a pen...why not ...hold the pen, and ask sincerely...this pen?...you need this pen? and treat them with the same respect you would like returned....been a while....something along the lines, of what was it called?....oh!!! the Golden Rule ;)

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
Whatever Softus, whatever.
Oh, well, now you put it like that, I bow to your superior debating ability.

Read it as you like, understand it as you like.
S'funny, because I thought I'd made it clear that I was seeking for Crafty to clarify his view of what he wrote, instead of making assumptions about it.

Frankly, WoodYouLike, although I wouldn't expect you to allow your position (wrt to being an immigrant) to colour your usual wisdom, I'm surprised that you take issue with someone who's attempting to act in the interests of general equality of treatment for everyone.

mlb3c said:
to Softus on this one.....Your point was taken.
ok.

to clarify my point....I am not racist if I choose to disagree with someone who has a different opinion to mine....if let's say...that person was Chinese and was able to actually get their view across in a way that I could understand...not necessarily language...but in 'some' way. or if that person was not white....or not educated...or was not heterosexual.,etc....and if I didnt like that person, it doesnt mean I dont like their entire race.
I couldn't agree more.

You (and I mean "you" in a generalized way) need to keep an open mind.
I couldn't agree more.

Softus said:
Frankly, WoodYouLike, although I wouldn't expect you to allow your position (wrt to being an immigrant) to colour your usual wisdom, I'm surprised that you take issue with someone who's attempting to act in the interests of general equality of treatment for everyone.

Well frankly, my dear: "I'm surprised that you take issue with someone who's attempting to act in the interests of general equality of treatment for everyone" that's not coming across very well. I suggest instead of replying (or asking - attempting to act that way) with a one liner question, you elaborate the way you do when you feel attacked.

And don't get personal when you're not coming across the way your intension was.

just out of interest....what would a person who was an immigrant, have to do (what steps) to settle in your country, learn the language and customs so as not to offend or make anyone uncomfortable by their presence? I think of a few barriers off the top of my head, if it were me, and that's keeping in mind that english is my first language... :confused:

Well frankly, my dear: "I'm surprised that you take issue with someone

Sorry, Wood You Like, I must defend Softus on this point, he does not take issue with someone, he takes issue with everybody.

anobium said:
Well frankly, my dear: "I'm surprised that you take issue with someone

Sorry, Wood You Like, I must defend Softus on this point, he does not take issue with someone, he takes issue with everybody.
Dear Anobium, I'm quoting (re-quoting) Softus in this.
Or if you meant it as joke, I half get it

frankly, at this point, I dont think Softus is taking issue with EVERYONE.

I DO think that when one poster takes what is being discussed, in a personal way, and it becomes abusive back and forth....that's where the discussion stops. And it's a pity, too....because I think that everyone has a right to express their opinion, even if we dont agree. And when it becomes abusive, the topic gets locked and it becomes 'too hot' a subject to be discussed in a rational manner.... :rolleyes:

WoodYouLike said:
Well frankly, my dear: "I'm surprised that you take issue with someone who's attempting to act in the interests of general equality of treatment for everyone" that's not coming across very well.
Well, if it wasn't clear then I'll take that on board and make it clearer next time.

I suggest instead of replying (or asking - attempting to act that way) with a one liner question, you elaborate the way you do when you feel attacked.
You can rest assured that I rarely feel attacked, and I certainly haven't felt it on this topic - I suspect we have some projection going on there... ;)

And don't get personal when you're not coming across the way your intension was.
WTF? Is this another one of your assumptions?

Softus said:
WoodYouLike said:
Well frankly, my dear: "I'm surprised that you take issue with someone who's attempting to act in the interests of general equality of treatment for everyone" that's not coming across very well.
Well, if it wasn't clear then I'll take that on board and make it clearer next time.
Fair enough, to me your first one liner question wasn't clear the way you meant it. Hence my reactions, to me it sounded like you were only reading the word racist and nothing else in the discussion, my mistake

WoodYouLike said:
Fair enough, to me your first one liner question wasn't clear the way you meant it. Hence my reactions, to me it sounded like you were only reading the word racist and nothing else in the discussion, my mistake
It was rather a large mistake - if you look again at my first post you'll see that I quoted several chunks of what Crafty had written. However, this isn't intended to provoke another disagreement with you, and I thank you for your post.

securespark said:
arron1980 said:
I never used to be racist, but now? I'm not so sure anymore

Perhaps you've always been this way.

I know I wasn't - several friends etc. etc.

The guys that have recently joined the EU that I have spoken to (The ones that do try to integrate) HAVE been really good blokes - there were some I would much prefer to call mates than a lot of the English guys I've worked with.

The issue I have with them is not strictly anything to do with them personally - it's the number that have got in and the favours and handouts they get.

I was told a story a while ago about a bloke who sells 2nd hand cars. A polish guy came in looking at a car - "How much?", "£3000" he said. "OK, I'll be back"
Some time later the guy came back with a cheque from the DSS (or whatever they're calling themselves this week). Car salesman thinks this is a bit odd so rings to check it out. "Oh yeah, that's because it's easier than sorting them out with a taxi" (not even a thought towards buses!)

Now this particular story may be true or it may not - but other examples of this have made it into the press and there's no smoke without fire. It is examples like this that are causing some serious resentment - there are many people that were born and raised in this country - lots that have paid their taxes - that could use that money to feed themselves or put a roof over their heads.

I suppose if I were more accurate I would say I'm not racist - more like anti-government.

Sponsored Links
Back