I'm not racist

WoodYouLike said:
Softus said:
WoodYouLike said:
Not sure where you want to take this Softus, but I think you're taken it out of porportions.
I'm merely asking a question to provoke thought. Why - how do you think I've taken it?
Just the way you've asked that thought-provoking question, that's all.
Well, I made the question open instead of closed. Was it offensive to any particular party or to a group or race of people?

Sponsored Links
Same point as I made in the Gay issue ...

We can only have true equality and diversity in society when we stop thinking about equality and diversity i.e. Where nobody gives a damn whether we've black, white, green, male, female, gay, straight, able-bodied, disabled, religous, atheist etc etc. and doesn't treat us differently because of it.

Trouble is, at the moment we have a Government which encourages segregation by spotlighting our differences and providing different rights for different groups ... This can only make the situation worse.

How many police forces, fire services, local councils et al, actually have recruitment targets to ensure specific numbers of minority groups irrespective of whether they are the most suitable candidate for the post?

And if anyone dares to raise this as an issue from the services perspective then they are labelled racist or sexist or homophobic ... They don't seem to appreciate that this actually makes public perception toward minority groups worse not better.

A 4 foot tall, 6 stone, one legged young lady may well meet all the criteria this Government expects of a modern firefighter but I personally would sooner be rescued from my blazing house and carried down the ladder over the shoulder of a 6 foot tall, 18 stone, able-bodied guy ... If I needed the kiss of life though, that's another matter :LOL:

at the risk of sounding pedantic.....

what is the worst thing about being a racist?

It certainly gets brought up a lot, not on just this forum, but .....almost everywhere. If you say or imply anything that can be interpreted by someone else as being prejudiced or God forbid, against their previously conceived notions....you automatically are labelled as racist.
People "invade" your comfort zone, don't behave the way you want them to, and suddenly they become the target for everything from rudeness to the breakdown of society....and there is always at least one, who sits a little in the back....waiting....for the perfect moment to say something along the lines....I didnt 'mean' anything...I was just 'wondering' what everyone thought. I looked up the definiton...because I do seem to forget what the actual defintions say sometimes....I dont think just because I am white, that my race is superior to all other races...but I do think that because of my heritage and upbringing and social influences, that I have something to offer to society...I don't have to agree with some one who is black...and I dont have to be politically correct and call them by whatever reference they deem as fit...at the risk of being a racist....but the actual start of this topic...was about folks (who happen to be immigrants) who come to your country and dont bother or dont have the resources to learn your language and prefer to be in their own comfort zone and speak their own language....but they are in "your" country, and that cant, therefore be tolerated. And that's what it all comes down to....tolerance. We can all learn something from each other. :confused:

esra_ptrap said:
Trouble is, at the moment we have a Government which encourages segregation by spotlighting our differences and providing different rights for different groups ... This can only make the situation worse.
It's a world-wide problem: over PC is IMHO to blame.

Sponsored Links
EliteHeat said:
Remember, there is no word in German for ‘fluffy’
What you mean that's not the literal translation of "vorsprung durch technik"?! :eek:

mlb3c said:
....tolerance. We can all learn something from each other. :confused:
We're all just human, aren't we? I would find it 'rude' if someone didn't speak my language when in my shop, because you could think they say something nasty about you you can't understand = human fear of being ridiculed, of being 'left-out'. Nothing racists about it, pure human nature.

mlb3c said:
at the risk of sounding pedantic.....

what is the worst thing about being a racist?
Slavery of Africans in North America?

Mass genocide of Jews?

State approved murder of Aborigines?

Need I go on?

WoodYouLike said:
mlb3c said:
....tolerance. We can all learn something from each other. :confused:
We're all just human, aren't we? I would find it 'rude' if someone didn't speak my language when in my shop, because you could think they say something nasty about you you can't understand = human fear of being ridiculed, of being 'left-out'. Nothing racists about it, pure human nature.
This is a local shop, for local people.

I agree that insecurity is a natural human emotion, and I have no problem with people talking about that, but my question is, previously by implication and now, since Crafty hasn't responded and things have moved on, also overtly: is it acceptable for that insecurity to manifest itself in an annoyance at all immigrants?

esra_ptrap said:
Yes, keep going ... You're on a roll :LOL:
Oh very funny.

Would you deny that these things have happened, and that they are crimes against humanity, and that they are directly related to racist attitudes?

tim west said:
Softus said:
Mass genocide of Jews?
Don't ! you'll have Joe 90 back arguing that the holocaust never happened ;)
I don't believe that joe-90 ever claimed that it didn't happen - his point was that there was insufficient evidence to prove that the numbers weren't exaggerated.

Softus said:
[

I agree that insecurity is a natural human emotion,
Hence the comparison with English tourists in foreign countries: are they rude or is the shopkeeper a racists becaus he/she thinks these tourists are rude?
Out of proportions Softus (and you do start to sound like Joe90!)

WoodYouLike said:
Softus said:

I agree that insecurity is a natural human emotion,
Hence the comparison with English tourists in foreign countries: are they rude or is the shopkeeper a racists because he/she thinks these tourists are rude?
If you're asking me whether or not someone is rude to have an audible conversation with a co-patriot in shop in a foreign country, then I would say that it isn't. However, that's a matter of opinion, and everyone else might find it rude, which is fine.

My point is that not all tourists, or immigrants, behave the same way. My further point is that Crafty, in his first post, implied that he has become frustrated with all immigrants on the basis of the behaviour of just some of them. If this tendency isn't discussed, and alleviated, then it can become peer-justified, and then it truly becomes something that is out of proportion.

Out of proportions Softus (and you do start to sound like Joe90!)
If you think it's out of proportion to ask a reasonable question in a reasonable way, then that's a matter for you. It doesn't make me wrong, or wrong to ask. And if the only remaining argument you have is to opine that I sound like joe-90, then I shall begin to think that you don't really have anything serious to say on the subject, in which case you'd do better to let Crafty answer the question that I asked.

Just remember that I wasn't the person who introduced the words "racist" and "immigrant" into this topic.

Sponsored Links
Back