Speaking another Language

B

Bodd

I think government past and present have got this learning another language so wrong

My eldest didn’t start learning French until 7. She gets one hour a week.
I’ve said to the head that they should be learning from 4 and maybe an hour a day.

I think we as an English speaking nation are very ignorant to the extent hinders only ourselves.

Can we try to keep this open

Sponsored Links
well lets face it every one abroad speaks English any way ??? u cannot be an airline pilot unless u speak English afaik ?

yes agree this country is very bad at language's

Afaik they still teach children Welsh (in wales) waste of time that is imho

Years ago we worked on a building site , and there was a Polish fella there as a general labourer and security guard , he stayed on site.

He was an educated fella who spoke perfect english (as such) the reason he took the job was to learn English or the way we all speak .

He was going to be an interpreter in Poland and also provide translation for imported films (text) and although he spoke perfect english he could not under stand alot of what was being said

for example . " pull yer socks up " "keep yer eye on the ball" ect ect he was taking such meanings as literal

Sponsored Links
Not always, and even if they do most will appreciate you making the effort to converse in their language.. That can make them more friendly / helpful / generous / considerate etc etc.

Not in my experience. Usually tell you to speak English!

Bodd,

There is not much point learning French if you are going to Hungary. Are you suggesting the English should learn every European language? Chinese may be more useful.

However, a Hungarian person and a Portuguese shop assistant can and do converse in English. Neither is likely to have learnt the other's language.

Eddie's point is true. I do try to speak a little Portuguese when asking for things but if they reply in Portuguese, I don't have a clue so they speak English as they don't have the time to give me lessons.

The fact is that, as said, a lot of things are in English - products, television and films (American to be more accurate), etc.

Even local firms have English on their vans and literature - not just for the benefit of the English, but everyone.

Your eldest can learn French if you want but, other than in France and a few other places, there isn't much point.

if you learn one foreign language, it becomes easier to learn a second, and a third. The brain improves.

Learning languages is easier as a young child, preferably by immersion. Grammar does need to be taught more formally, though, especially to people (like most native English speakers) who are not conscious that it exists or has rules.

Some languages are so different from each other that a native speaker of one may not grasp the concepts of another, until they are explained and practiced.

GermanArticles.jpg

Bodd,

There is not much point learning French if you are going to Hungary. Are you suggesting the English should learn every European language? Chinese may be more useful.

However, a Hungarian person and a Portuguese shop assistant can and do converse in English. Neither is likely to have learnt the other's language.

Eddie's point is true. I do try to speak a little Portuguese when asking for things but if they reply in Portuguese, I don't have a clue so they speak English as they don't have the time to give me lessons.

The fact is that, as said, a lot of things are in English - products, television and films (American to be more accurate), etc.

Even local firms have English on their vans and literature - not just for the benefit of the English, but everyone.

Your eldest can learn French if you want but, other than in France and a few other places, there isn't much point.

French is a beautiful language. It may get you by in parts of Africa South America Canada and Vietnam. It’s not a bad language to learn.

if you learn one foreign language, it becomes easier to learn a second, and a third. The brain improves.

Learning languages is easier as a young child, preferably by immersion. Grammar does need to be taught more formally, though, especially to people (like most native English speakers) who are not conscious that it exists or has rules.

Some languages are so different from each other that a native speaker of one may not grasp the concepts of another, until they are explained and practiced.

View attachment 139373

Your spot on. It does develop the brain.
I’m trying to teach my girls Spanish at home I’m so envious of ones that’s speak more than one tongue

well yes way r bee :LOL: :LOL: my post was posted after a great deal of thought & due consideration on the subject ;) I applied my knowledge , un-doubted expertise and came to a conclusion ?

basically to put it into launguage that u under stand I engaged my brain & mouth at the same time :LOL::LOL:

This is a bonding thread

Bodd,

Eddie's point is true. I do try to speak a little Portuguese when asking for things but if they reply in Portuguese, I don't have a clue so they speak English as they don't have the time

English is the main main most widely spoken lauguage and you you have more chance on getting by with it but another tongue can only but get you by even more.

Tell me you do speak Portuguese??

I try and would like to but it is very difficult.
Reading is easier but understanding the locals who have an accent is almost impossible.

Imagine learning English and going to Glasgow.

It's a bit one sided though. Anglophone "culture " is everywhere... unless I made a point of it, I hear nothing but English.

Sponsored Links
Back