Languages in Schools

WoodYouLike said:
splinter said:
BAS
Suppose I better tell you about Kents best kept secret then
What, both of them????

Come on now I've lived in Kent all my live and only know of one :(

, Is it strawberries don't really grow on trees or is ,,,,,,,,, no can't told about that one

Sponsored Links
splinter said:
ban-all-sheds said:
notb665 said:
I think it is about time we stopped teaching French in schools. Metaphorically speaking it is no longer the closest different-language country - other countries are just as easy to get to.
Not without flying...

BAS
Suppose I better tell you about Kents best kept secret then
What, that there are sea crossings to other countries that are shorter than those to France?

Or that there is another, shorter tunnel that goes somewhere other than France?

And that therefore, when going by road or rail or boat, France is not the first country you come to, and therefore not the closest or easiest to reach?

Yes - please do tell me...

ban-all-sheds said:
And that therefore, when going by road or rail or boat, France is not the first country you come to, and therefore not the closest or easiest to reach?

Well it obviously depends on which direction you are travelling in, but otherwise: No, it isn't.

And from where, I guess, but for most of the population in the UK, when travelling by car or train or boat, France is either the closest foreign country or the first one you get to on the way to somewhere else....

Sponsored Links
But just because France is near, why do we have to learn to speak French? I was forced to attend French lessons at school - did me no good whatsoever, I have never been there apart from on a school trip many moons ago, and I dont intend going there. I was also forced to attend Latin classes - another waste of my life. Since we live in England, surely learning to speak English is a pretty good starting point?

ban-all-sheds said:
And from where, I guess, but for most of the population in the UK, when travelling by car or train or boat, France is either the closest foreign country or the first one you get to on the way to somewhere else....

What do you want to do, measure population density versus proximity to a foreign country from every point in the UK and use a scoring system type thing? I said 'metaphorically', meaning culturally versus distance. Goodness me. Initially I was thinking of The Republic of Ireland, which we do have a land border with, and it's close to Wales also. And some parts in Scotland are closer to Norway. I wish I hadn't bothered now.

eggplant said:
But just because France is near, why do we have to learn to speak French?
Because old habits die hard? And comes from history when all 'gentry' in Englad spoke French and English was just for the paupers?

eggplant said:
But just because France is near, why do we have to learn to speak French? I was forced to attend French lessons at school - did me no good whatsoever, I have never been there apart from on a school trip many moons ago, and I dont intend going there. I was also forced to attend Latin classes - another waste of my life. Since we live in England, surely learning to speak English is a pretty good starting point?

Most of English comes from French and Latin.

joe-90 said:
Most of English comes from French and Latin.

No it doesn't.

English is a Germanic-based language.

Look up the French, Latin and German words for the following fundamental words:

Man
Mother
Father
Brother
Sister
Uncle
Water
Milk
Bread
Butter
Cow
Mouse
Hand
Foot
Knee
Finger
Arse (this has been censored but is a vulgar word for "bottom")
Hat
Red
Green
Grey

Look up the french, latin and German words for the *folloeing* fundamental words:

Is that Middle English?

Look again :LOL:

and

Sun, Son
Think, thought
Bring, brought
Cold, Warm

Sponsored Links
Back