How's this washer called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20210703_103556.jpg Sorry for the basic question, but I'm having a senile moment.
How's the washer that goes between garden tap and wallplate called?

Sponsored Links
1. If there were a washer there, it would be a fibre washer.
2. Its likely that the thread on the back of the tap will bottom in the wall plate elbow before any washer goes on.
3. The normal way of sealing an outside tap to a back plate elbow is with one of:
3a. PTFE tape. You'd need to experiment with the number of turns necessary to create a seal and still leave the tap spout in the correct position. I'd start at 10 turns and go up from there. You can't turn the fitting back if it goes too far and expect it not to leak.
3b. Loctite 55. This is a sealing cord. Very similar to PTFE, except its wound one across the threads, which should be slightly roughed up with a file. Can be backed off up to 1/2 turn without leaking.
3c. Loctite 577 (expensive) or Flomasta Pipe Seal (Screwfix 4373J). Both are thread sealants. Clean components, run a bead right round the second and third threads in, assemble in correct orientation , wait 1/2 hour, job done.

Sponsored Links
That's a google image just to understand the position of the washer.
I looked at mine, next door and my mum's and all have a black rubber washer there, so I assumed there should be one.

I have found that some double check valve garden taps freeze in the winter and need to be replaced.

Andy

Needs internal check valve and isolator.
Can't be done because pipes are behind kitchen cabinets.
On mine I have a "winter jacket", basically a polystyrene cover and never had a freeze in 20 years.

There isn't a specific name for them I don't think.

Wall plate elbow/wall plate or outside taps don't normally come with a rubber washer/seal separately. You only ever seem to get them with a kit. I believe they are just thicker 1/2" washers but the norm is to use PTFE tape/thread.

Can't be done because pipes are behind kitchen cabinets.
On mine I have a "winter jacket", basically a polystyrene cover and never had a freeze in 20 years.

Kitchen carcasses can usually be removed and put back again. Access hole for isolator or put it behind the kick boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back