HP solution centre on Windows 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone found a solution. HP solution centre does not recognise a modern HP printer, so cannot check ink levels etc. I have downloaded the latest software for Windows 7 from HP but still the fault exists. HP won't help because the printer is out of guarantee, but it is not the printer but the new software that is the problem. The printer works OK. Any ideas anyone? TIA

Sponsored Links
When you say you downloaded the latest software, was that the installation software? If so did you keep the downloaded setup.exe file?
Which printer model is it?
Was Windows 7 an upgrade or a new install?
If it was an upgrade did you leave the printer installed.

First thing to do is uninstall all the HP software.
Control Panel -> Programs and then click each HP item in turn and click to uninstall.
Once all has been removed, reboot.

Get the latest installation software from HP unlerss you still have the disk that came with the pronter.

Using either the software or disk, install and follow the instructions for when to connect the printer.

Being out of guarantee should not prevent you from getting support.

Answer the questions above and we can see if there is a better installer available for your printer for Win 7.

dave

Hi Dave, Thanks for your reply. The computer is a brand new Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit preinstalled. The printer is deskjet F380. The disc supplied with the printer is not compatible with W7. I downloaded the whole new software which is stated as compatible and installed all as instructed. When this failed I uninstalled everything, deleted the download, rebooted and repeated everything. Still the same problem. I have tried 2 USB leads and another printer and nothing changes.

Go here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=&cc=us&product=1128296
and select which version of Win 7 you have.

Download the full feature software and drivers for it and save to desktop or Download folder. (It's a big one)

When complete, right click the setup .exe icon that you have downloaded and click Run as Administrator.

Follow the onscreen instructions and it should install.
My HP C4580 would not install from the disk, kept wanting Admin rights to do it.
If you get that error message about Admin, you can reboot the computer into the Hidden admin account:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...idden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

dave

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dave for all your help. Uninstalled everything, downloaded the software again and installed it. It finds the printer but the toolbox and ink levels still not available.

Does it scan from the HP Solutions Centre?

In the Help section on mine it says that the ink level indicators do not apply on some models.

Just had a look at my Solutions Centre and the ink levels are so vague as to be useless. I can click the button and get a description of the cartridges, but all I ever do is carry a spare colour and black cartridge and print until they run out.
My old HP PSC was a good one except for the ink level indicators so I never used them. They indicated empty when I could get another two or three weeks printing out of them before running out.
Apart from multi copies of pub quiz sheets, most of my printing is only one copy of each page so if the ink runs out I have only wasted one sheet of paper.

dave

Back