HSS drill set advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of different size holes up to 13 mm to drill in steel. I bought a set of jobber drills from Screwfix, but the 4mm one bent while drilling through chassis rail of a Catterham. I know one gets what one pays for, but there are Jobber ones, Titanium ones and Cobalt ones. What make/model of drills should I buy and from where for a reasonable price that will be servicable.

Sponsored Links
Just my opinion, but I buy HSS jobber drills from Screwfix - avoid carbon steel ones at all costs. Even the cheapo things from Titan work fine. The secret is, don't try to drill the holes big at one go - use a series of step up drills. Use a lubricant - oil or WD40 will do - don't let the drill bit get too hot. Make sure the drill speed is slow for the larger drills. When starting, make sure the centre punch mark is deep enough to prevent skidding - the tip of a drill is flat, after all.
Cheers John

Sponsored Links
Dormer drills without any doubt, are amongst the best you can buy, not cheap, but certainly worth the money.

Wotan

thanks for the replies. Looks like Dormer are the ones to get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back