humidity fan vs timer fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm thinking to change the bathroom fan (basic) to a humidity fan or a timer fan. This bathroom is not far from a bedroom. Can someone tell me which fan is better?

My original through is a humidity+timer fan (2 functions). but someone told me that a humidity fan might suddenly start at the middle of the night. Did any one has this experience? and most importantly how often does this happen?

Thank you in advance.

Shan

Sponsored Links
As the name suggests, a fan with a humidistat will start up whenever the humidity level says it should......personally I prefer a fan with a timer, operated by its own switch - with an (adjustable) run time for 15 minutes or so.
John :)

My main worry with this bathroom is the level of humidity. Currently, as it has only a basic fan, there is damp problem. I can see small drops of water on the tiles. I'm sure this damp problem is because of frequent uses of bathroom. I wonder whether a timer fan would be enough to solve this damp problem, but having a humidity control fan turning on all the time is not a solution.

Has any one got EXPERIENCE with a humidity controlled fan?

Sponsored Links
The humidity sensors in these extractor fans is built into the casing & my concern would be that in would only sense the humidity in a localised area not the whole room, so I doubt it would cure your problem. Does the bathroom have adequate heating & would the users switch on the fan when hot water is being used?

The humidity sensors in these extractor fans is built into the casing & my concern would be that in would only sense the humidity in a localised area not the whole room, so I doubt it would cure your problem. Does the bathroom have adequate heating & would the users switch on the fan when hot water is being used?

The current fan is linked to the light switch, so yes, it is switch on during usage.
There is no heater in the bathroom. bathroom is fully tiled.
The fan locates just next to the shower area.
It's a tiny bathroom 2x2meter. No window.

I have given some thoughts about this. What if I buy a humidity controlled + timer fan, and then set the control to be very high, such as 90%, and set the timer to be 15mins. So hopefully, it won't turn itself on at the middle of the night. I'm guessing that 90% is when I see moisture on tiles... If it still playing up at night, I just take the humid detector out of the fan. I don't know how easy this can be done. Do you think this strategy make sense?

If you set a humidty fan at high it will rarley run, you need a timer fan with 20mins set on over run.
You need to run the fan before any humidity builds up, so humidty fans would need to be able to predict humidity as waiting until it exists to trigger them is too late.
I have my timer fans triggered by motion sensor , far more effective as they run whenever the room is occupied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back