Humming Noise

Do you know how I can change the battery in the plip on my Peugeot 406?

And how it interfaces with the security keypad? ( Thats when it has a battery! )

Tony

On a lot of cars, when you remove the battery (either car or keyfob) the sync is lost between the two. Often all you need to do after replacing the battery is turn the ignition on and press the button on the keyfob within 10 seconds to resync the fob to car. Sometimes you need the drivers door open, other times you need the drivers door shut. Sometimes you need to press the button once, sometimes you need to hold the button down for up to 30 seconds. Other cars you turn on the ignition and press the lock/unlock button twice.

All seems to be a variation on a theme ..........

Sponsored Links
Also found this on another forum ........

406 PLIP PROGRAMMING

The 406 deadlocking remote control has specific button controls, and if the vehicle has two controls, one is set as primary and the other as secondary.

When replacing the Plip, a Primary or Secondary Plip are different part numbers and must be ordered as required. The white label inside the Plip is labelled PRIM or SEC.

1. Turn the Ignition switch ON.

2. Press the large Plip key button (Primary Plip)

3. Within 10 seconds press the large Plip key button (Secondary Plip)

4. If there is one remote, press the Primary plip button twice.

5. Turn ignition OFF.

6. Test Plip’s for correct operation.

NOTE : On some 406 models, Plips cannot be re-synchronised unless the battery has been disconnected for 1 minute

That will all be very useful but not until I have found a way top replace the battery in my plip!

There seems to be no way to open it and it has marks where others have apparently tried!

406s are common cars and surely someone in the universe knows how to replace them?

Some of the words above imply they are one shot with no capability to replace the battery!

Tony

Sponsored Links
We still dont know what is causing the humming noise.

I have asked if the electricity has been disconnected from the meter and if the Gas EC has been turned off. No answer as yet!

Tony

We still dont know what is causing the humming noise.
That's right - we still don't know.

We don't know, and the OP doesn't know. In fact, nobody knows. We didn't know before you stated that we didn't know, and that hasn't changed - we still don't know.

We are waiting for more information. More information has not yet arrived. When we get more information, we might have more understanding, or we might not, but we won't know whether or not the information we're waiting for will result in more understanding, until we receive the information that we're waiting for.

And we don't know how long we will be waiting for more information. And we don't know how to find out how long we'll be waiting for it. We could ask the OP, but he might not know. Or he might not reply, in which case we wouldn't know whether he doesn't know, or knows but isn't prepared, or able, to tell us. Or he might reply and tell us that he doesn't know either, in which case we would know something extra, but not something that's very useful.

There are some other things that we don't know, but I don't have enough time to list them all.

Softus dear, why did you post that. I don't know, I'm sure. ;)

One of our meters to a flat has got a battery in the meter which I suspect makes the pre-payment shutter operate from shut to open and back again. (National grid was meant to replace them systematically, but could not locate that many, nor tried that hard.)
So does this OP have pre-payment meters in their home. Just thinking out loud, that this would operate regardless of turning mains electric off. May even cause the slightest vibration down the gas pipe to boiler. :?:

The electric/gas meters have been changed, water switched off in the street and environmental health cannot find anything. Can anyone help please?

That answered my question, should have reread the thread. :rolleyes:

does your home have an alarm system?

if it does it could be that as they have battery back up and when they lose mains supply they usually take a few minutes to discharge before they reley on the battery back up

The phone lines bring power into the house. Try disconnecting everything except the master. Usually the front of the socket plate unplugs.

Sorry I haven't read every word - you have tried turning the water mains off? Try next-door's too. And their electricity - could be a fridge?

You could look for hidden power lines around the building with a CAT (Cable Avoiding Tool)

Its unlikely I know but even if the gas meter has been changed its likely that the gas regulator has not!

The OP seems to have gone awol!

If you are still alive please turn off the EC, just in case!

Its the last thing that I can suggest.

Tony

You have all completely lost me now!

The EHO is coming out to the house again at some point this week so we will see what that brings.

Electric/gas meters changed including regulator. Water mains turned off in street, fuse in electric meter taken out before meter changed. Listened to all walls and pipes in floors with stethascope (if thats how you spell it).

No alarm, adjoining neighbour confirmed nothing on wall that may be vibrating, our boiler checked, electrics checked. Railway nearby and phone mast. Builders at rear confirmed no submersible pumps or generators. The only outstanding matter is utility company waiting for reply as to nearest pumping station or nearby works. No coal mining in area since 1983. No petrol stations in area.

Cannot think of anything else you may wish to know. The sound is a hum which can be heard constantly through the house.

Railway nearby and phone mast.
I apologise if you've already provided this information, but how near are those to your house?

BTW, I was serious about the ghostbusters, because some of the people who are interested in the paranormal have access to sensitive measuring and recording equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back