Hydrated Lime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just spent the weekend removing the plaster from the interior of the rising-damp-afflicted stone wall of my house. I'm not intending to plaster over the stone, rather leave it in its natural state with a coating of whitewash, to match the rest of the room. However, I'm now faced with the task of redoing the pointing between the stones. At present, there appears to be just crumbling sand between the stones, I did a bit of a search on the internet and it appears that if I want to mitigate future damp problems the best option would be to fill the gaps with a lime-based mortar. I read that hydrated lime might be a user-friendly option for the pointing, any views/tips? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you get the hydrated lime, and mix it in a bucket of water with as much lime as you possibly can then leave it for a few weeks to settle, pour off the excess water and you have lime putty. This is mixed with sharp sand about 3:1 (no extra water) and you can rake out the joints and pack with the mortar. You really need a tool the width of the joint to pack with, a pointing trowel doesn't do a very good job.

Thanks oilman. Actually the stones are all irregular sizes, and as a result there are some fairly large gaps, is this likely to present a problem?

Sponsored Links
OK, I made the lime putty by stirring as much powder as I possibly could into a bucket of water. I managed to get a 25kg bag into four buckets. However, after a couple of days it seemed to be hardening rather than seperating, so I have put some water on top to stop it drying out. Do you think I put too much powder in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back