hydraulic lime or cement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just moved into my new house and I have some work I need to do a lot of repointing on my garden stone and brick wall. I'm a bit confused as most web sites suggest to use hydraulic lime and big DIY stores tell me it doesn't matter, cement will do the job.

As cement is much cheaper I'm inclined to go with cement but I don't want this to be my deciding factor. Can someone give me some impartial advise please.

Thank you.
D

1492179455183-1347661222.jpg

1492179529557-39454704.jpg

Sponsored Links
Lime is the better option as it allow the stones to move to accommodate any movement in the ground. ( dry summer / wet winter clay etc ) without developing cracks.

Cement will, if there is any movement, result in cracks developing in the mortar and / or broken stones.

DIY shops don't stock lime, they stock cement, they will give advice biased to selling more of their stock.

Using lime is different from using cement, for one thing mixing the dry lime and sand takes a lot longer than mixing cement..

Thank you for your quick response, this is exactly what I'm finding when reading various sources on the web, lime is better.

It's strange why DIY stores don't stock lime. I know it's more expensive but if the option is available then customers will enquire and buy.

I think I've made up my mind now. Thank you again.

Your first picture shows what look likes a dry stone wall which does not require pointing, as for the brickwork go with Bernard's advice

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Assuming that you're in the UK. Travis Perkins do 3.5 Natural Hydraulic Lime in 25kg bags.

Your first picture shows what look likes a dry stone wall which does not require pointing, as for the brickwork go with Bernard's advice

@builder1953, what do you mean it doesn't need repointing? I've been told it needs to be done as chunks of it are too lose.

I don't have much experience, so I have no idea what's needed. If it doesn't need repointing would you say I need to fill the gaps? The wall is weak in parts.

Thank you in advance

DRY stone wall, dry being the operative word, they were constructed without mortar or lime mix, can you see evidence of mortar or lime mix in the wall? I doubt it. To be honest if you do attempt to point that wall you will have a job and a half to get it to look half decent I would leave well alone but if there are weak points you have the option to dismantle the stone and rebuild it as required

Excuse my ignorance but surly there needs to be something between the stones? It currently seems to be filled with what looks like compost! See new images below.

As it's a bounary wall, neighbours on either have 'repointed' their side with what looks like cement mix.

Screenshot_20170416-112041.png
Screenshot_20170416-112049.png

It's not a dry stone wall don't worry.
Best to rake out the old mortar/ crud and replace with lime mortar or if you can't find it normal cement mortar.

I have rebuilt quite a few stone walls where the mortar seems to have vanished and been replaced with soil. Sometimes there are some large plants growing through them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back