Hypothetical physics puzzle

I'm going to take a guess that the plane would initially 'take off', due to the windspeed over the wings, but once up off the ground, it would start to move backwards due to the same wind. Once this happens, the relative windspeed over the wings will drop to (actual windspeed - backwards speed of the plane), which will then be insufficient to provide the lift and it would be back down to earth (when I presume the whole cycle would start again).

Sponsored Links
So what we're saying is if you tie a length of string around the wheels you could fly an 747 like a kite cool :evil:

Sponsored Links
The important thing here chaps is that, as I've already mentioned, aircraft are rigged with a negative incidence whilst on the landing gear to prevent such occurence.

No angle of attack = no lift irrespective of how strong the wind is.

Different thing altogether if someone is sat in the cockpit pulling back on the stick though ;)

MW

The important thing here chaps is that, as I've already mentioned, aircraft are rigged with a negative incidence whilst on the landing gear to prevent such occurence.

No angle of attack = no lift irrespective of how strong the wind is.

Different thing altogether if someone is sat in the cockpit pulling back on the stick though ;)

MW

Surely that depends on the plane - light aircraft with tail wheels surely would generate lift in a headwind? Agreed a modern jet with tricycle undercarriage would not generate lift in this scenario.

Assuming the brakes of the (light) aircraft were on, the plane would initially lift off but then start moving backwards due to air friction (which was previously negated by ground friction (the braked wheels), as backwards groundspeed increased the plane would effectively stall in the wind and drop.

You mean a 747 in a hurricane wouldnt experience some form of lift? I wonder?

Lift_Instant_Lemon_Tea.jpg

What about a taildragger then MW?
I admit that I was considering conventional tricycle nosewheeled aircraft when I posted ... Tail draggers are a different case and far more prone to being flipped in the wind and generally need to be tied down if high winds are expected.

You mean a 747 in a hurricane wouldnt experience some form of lift? I wonder?
Not in the conventional sense by airflow over the wings Tim (in response to the original question) ... Aircraft are still subject to the same forces as everything else in a hurricane though and would be blown around just the same.

MW

Sponsored Links
Back