Physics Puzzle

Softus, you are a monster............................

er, how big was this meadow?

Sponsored Links
The plane is on the ground and needs a land speed to reach take off speed
Nope, quite wrong.

An aircraft needs airspeed to take off not groundspeed and there can be anything from a 0:1 - 1:1 - 1:0 relationship between them. If you assume an aircraft's T/O speed is 30 knots ... with no head or tail winds airspeed = groundspeed and T/O will occur at 30 knots groundspeed, 30 knots tailwind and T/O will occur at 60 knots groundspeed and ... Wait for it ... 30 knots headwind T/O will occur at zero groundspeed ... Irrespective of what the runway or wheels are doing.

The only purpose wheels serve to an aircraft is supporting it whilst it is on the ground and they play no part whatsoever in it getting airborne ... Someone has already pointed out both on this thread (I think) and certainly the previous that the aircraft will take off normally but the wheels will be spun to infinity based on the OP's question ... The wheels may not survive but the aircraft will take off quite normally.

You need to understand that the thrust of the engines moves the airframe relative to the airflow around it NOT with respect to the ground.

This is a classic connundrum which has been used to provide amusement to both trainee engineers and pilots ever since I learnt to fly in 1983.

The aircraft will takeoff and the pilots won't see any difference to a normal runway ... Other than losing their wheels of course, but that wasn't the OP's question :LOL:

MW

megawatt";p="902550 said:
e only purpose wheels serve to an aircraft is supporting it whilst it is on the ground and they play no part whatsoever in it getting airborne ... Someone has already pointed out both on this thread (I think) and certainly the previous that the aircraft will take off normally but the wheels will be spun to infinity based on the OP's question ... The wheels may not survive but the aircraft will take off quite normally...
The aircraft will takeoff and the pilots won't see any difference to a normal runway ... Other than losing their wheels of course, but that wasn't the OP's question :LOL:

MW

How can the aircraft take off if the wheels have been destroyed?

Sponsored Links
It cant be a plane anymore as its ploane.
clouseau.gif

Back