Psychics Puzzle

Sponsored Links
By your reasoning then, the bearings in the conveyors rollers will be destoyed too !! DUH !! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Really? Oh well, come on then Einstein, give us the benefit of your wisdom on this. I cannot wait to hear you embarrass yourself. Begin....

What an arrogant reply from some one who does not fully understand the question or the forces involved.

I will give you my reasoning of the problem as follows...

Firstly to those who believe ( not you ) that the plane will not move, because the conveyor prevents forward movement, remember this.
The conveyor responds to wheel movement, wheel movement is caused by forward movement of the plane, so the only way the conveyor can ever move is if the plane moves FORWARD.
If the plane ever stops, so must the conveyor.

Whether the plane will take, off needs to be considered in 2 ways, theoretical or in practice

As a theoretical problem only, the plane will have no problem in taking off, as Newtons third law of motion ( As you said ) is all you need to understand.

Practically it's a different matter altogether.
And for this debate lets imagine that such a conveyor could be built.

The pilot now applies thrust and the plane moves forward, the conveyor now responds and moves in the opposite direction, as the plane increases speed so does the conveyor.
Now is the moment to look at this part of the question......."and tunes the speed of the conveyor belt to be exactly the same as the wheels"

"Tunes the speed" means a response time.
If the response time is instantaneous, then the wheels will be destroyed, well before take off.
At some point when the response time is long enough the plane will take off, as the conveyor is always playing catch up.

So their are 2 answersdepending on which view you take.

The You tube video although interesting, was not a direct comparison, as the wheels were always in contact with the runway, through the tarpaulin.

I would only embarrass myself, if I insulted anyone who disagrees with me..... ;)
trazor, first off, this is a forum man, people will come in here and say things in a way that they would perhaps never say in 'real life' so, and secondly, don't take it to heart man FFS!! :rolleyes: Now then, that said, you are full of shyte! :D (I am joking with you).

Anyway, what the wheels are doing has NO BEARING on this! The wheels are there purely to remove resistance. If we considered this and the plane had NO wheels then sure, the amount of resistance would be overwhelming. You could mount the aircraft on a surf board if you like, as long as it removed the Resistance. Aircraft Wheels have NO DRIVE, they are completely 'free-wheeling' (apart from when the brakes are applied of course). Thrust delivered via the engines/propellers drives the 'Body' of the Aircraft therefore what is happening on the ground has absolutely NO BEARING on whether the aircraft can take off.

I have no idea what 'youtube' video you refer to but I can assure you that the aircraft WILL take off in this scenario. Softus (the OP), knows this but is being mischievous again this evening! :)

Jeeeeeesussssss!...you lot have really found yourself on the of one of Softus's wind up here!

Back