physics puzzle no.2

no, the conveyor and the wheels are moving at infinite speed, due to an invalid statement in the question.

Sponsored Links
no, the conveyor and the wheels are moving at infinite speed, due to an invalid statement in the question.

It maybe an invalid statement, but you cannot just ignor it.

The result of the conveyor spinning backwards is to double the speed of the wheels rotation.

So, the plane is moving left at 220mph, the conveyor is moving right at 220mph, the wheels are spinning at 440mph..the plane takes off.

That little gem from vsynth, is the perfect example.

The wheels are spinning at 440 mph, and the conveyor is doing what :LOL: :LOL:

The post says they most be the same, so now will it take off.

Its a trick question, and you lot can't see further than the gear stick. :LOL:

No, it isn't a trick question DOI it's a question which has been posed for decades and the answer known for decades.

Stick to walking and leave those of us who can fly ... Do so ;)

Blondini ... Would you care to explain your shock at ...

megawatt wrote:
There are plenty of sites google'able which explain the laws of flight and provide formulae which express it but, to summarise ...

For an aircraft to move forward the thrust being applied to the airframe must exceed the weight of the aircraft and the aerodynamic drag being applied to it ...
MW

The best explanation (other than mine of course :LOL: ) is Vsynths which is pretty much spot on.

MW

Softus said
aircrafts wheels speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor belt to be exactly the same as the wheels

Vsynths said
So, the plane is moving left at 220mph, the conveyor is moving right at 220mph, the wheels are spinning at 440mph.

megawatt said
The best explanation (other than mine of course icon_lol.gif ) is Vsynths which is pretty much spot on.

Notice the difference

And I know how to fly as well :cool:

Sponsored Links
Doitall wrote:
I know how to fly too
Not a chance bud, there isn't a qualified pilot alive that would fall for this old chestnut ... You're a bluffer.

Don't tell me ... Another armchair software pilot who thinks its the same thing.

MW

Go back and answer my second last post if you think that.

Somewhere about 500 posts ago I said about the video I would have been surprised if it hadn't took off, indeed I would expect to take off from the conveyor, but not with the condition added to the post, That and that alone makes it impossible

It maybe an invalid statement, but you cannot just ignor it.
If the question has an invalid statement which makes it impossible, you cannot come up with an answer which solves the question.

All fair enough if the speed of the conveyor is meant to be matching the speed of the plane. Except in the OP behind this discussion it is meant to be matching the wheel speed of the plane...

Blondini ... Would you care to explain your shock at ...

megawatt wrote:
There are plenty of sites google'able which explain the laws of flight and provide formulae which express it but, to summarise ...

For an aircraft to move forward the thrust being applied to the airframe must exceed the weight of the aircraft and the aerodynamic drag being applied to it ...
MW

MW

Since you ask, I am surprised at what you have written. You seem to be saying that the thrust applied to the airframe needs to exceed the weight of the aircraft (and the aerodynamic drag) in order to move it forward.

You are right blondini, the friction in the wheel bearings will decide how much force is required to move the aircraft forward.

A strongman has pulled a 110,000lb aircraft across flat tarmac..... :eek:

Since you ask, I am surprised at what you have written. You seem to be saying that the thrust applied to the airframe needs to exceed the weight of the aircraft (and the aerodynamic drag) in order to move it forward.
Yes, now I've read what I posted again I agree that it doesn't read as I intended ;)

You are right blondini, the friction in the wheel bearings will decide how much force is required to move the aircraft forward.
EUREKA ... I knew someone would get there in the end ... Now explain it to DIA :LOL:

Doitall: If you are indeed a qualified pilot and I've done you a disservice then perhaps you'd care to post a copy of your license frontpage ... Suitably anonymised of course.

MW

Sponsored Links
Back