Hyundai 1999 Atoz air bag light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi group

I believe an air bag light on the dash is now an MOT failure.
Great not!?
If that is the case I have to get this working or disabled.

I also have a hyundai amica so virtually the same car.
On this one I can unplug the seat sensor under the drivers seat and
it still doesn't show an air bag light either way.

I've tried the same on the atoz but no different and cleaned the connections.

I have a USB computer fault code reader that works great on my amica
but if I plug it into the Atoz it says that the car computer doesn't respond.

Suggestions on where to start to fix this.

Sponsored Links
To get into the airbag fault codes usually takes something a little bit more complex (and expeinsive) than a standard EOBD reader, what age is the car? It may be worth asking at your local garage to see if they have something that can read it.

To get into the airbag fault codes usually takes something a little bit more complex (and expeinsive) than a standard EOBD reader, what age is the car? It may be worth asking at your local garage to see if they have something that can read it.

year 1999. Surely my reader should work with the atoz as it works with the amica? Or am I missing something?

What software are you using?

Did you disconnect the battery (over night) after checking/cleaning both front seat connections?

Sponsored Links
What software are you using?

Did you disconnect the battery (over night) after checking/cleaning both front seat connections?

I haven't tried disconnecting the battery. Would this work?
Don't know about the immobiliser would that mean I would need
a certain type of key to program the immobilizer again.
I only have one key for the car and it has a blue head.

Don't want to end up with a car that doesn't work at all!
How do I tell if the car has an immobiliser?

Disable the bulb so it no longer works is also an MOT failure. It must come on with the ignition then go out.

Disable the bulb so it no longer works is also an MOT failure. It must come on with the ignition then go out.

What are the EU and DOT on.
I don't care if the air bag is working or not.
This sort of stuff is costing people a fortune for people who just want a cheap run around.

you may not care but the tester will.they should pick up that it isnt working and fail the car.
try joining a forum dedicated to your car/s and see what the forum experts there have to say about it.
it may be something as a clock spring that needs renewing to something thats going to have your pants down.

Pre 2001 petrol cars do not have to be EOBD compliant so it doesn't have to work with a bog standard reader, I doubt your reader can get to the airbag reader in your other car as EOBD only has to be compatible with certain parameters mainly to do with emissions.
So firstly it is probably worth a trip to a local garage who may have something that can read it, if not then off to a Hyundai dealer (ouch)

You cant guess at faults these days, it gets expensive. Find someone who can read the codes for you and point you in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Back