Hyundai i20 tappets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My son has a Hyundai i20 1.2 petrol. Can anyone advise if the tappet/valve learances are the old fashioned screw/lock-nut type or are they shim/buckets?

It's starting to sound a little tappety and i believe they do crop up as a service item (car has done 40K)

Also anyone know of a DIY manual for these cars?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure these have hydraulic tappets (certainly the Getz did) but it could be worth popping in to Kia / Hyundai to speak to the service people.
They do tend to be a bit noisy, and best to use a high quality oil and a genuine filter to keep things sweet and the timing chain appreciates it too.
What does your manual say?
John :)

I know some Hyundais still use adjustable clearances but not sure which models. My dads old 2005 coupe does which I was surprised at.

Bloomin' nightmare job if its bucket and shim.....cam drive cogs off, tied out of the way with cable ties before the cams come free :eek:
Try making a profit on that one! Thankfully adjustments are rare (or overlooked :mrgreen:)
John :)

Sponsored Links
Try STP oil treatment or (Wynns), more probable wear in the lobes of the cam than tappet adjustment, causing the racket.
Oh and an oil change, if needed .........

Back