Installing a remote central locking kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's my story;

I have a 2000 Nissan Micra. It has factory fitted central locking which is activated from a button on the key. A few weeks ago i decided i'd change the battery in the key, and after opening the key and replacing the battery, the remote central locking has stopped working.

After some digging online, i found a set of instructions to 'reset' the key to map it back to the car. Unfortunately, the process had no effect, which leads me to believe i damaged the key in the process of jamming it open. I can still use the key manually to open the doors and start the engine.

It seems a new key from Nissan will cost me about £60, plus they will charge labour to recode it to the car. All a bit expensive to bring back the convenience of unlocking the car remotely.

My next option is to install a generic central locking kit, available on ebay for about £20-£30. They look something like this;

DSC01811-1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120110761833

My question is, how hard are these to install? Is it something i should try and manage myself? Does anyone know approximately what is involved?

thanks for your help

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
No, but if it's of any interest this is exactly the kind of kit I've been looking for, so I'm glad you posted the link!

If I get one first then I'll let you know how I get on with it. :)

Hi the last micra i did for an alarm the central locking was wired for a negative pulse, it should be fairly easy for you, work the central locking from the drivers door and listen for the central locking relay once you have located it you need to find the lock/unlock wires the easiest way is to use a 12v test light, put one end to ground and probe the wires till you find the wires that lock/unlock the doors these will be your control wires you will beable to get your permanent live off the relay to power your new kit. if you cant locate the relay you should find you can locate the lock/unlock wires coming from the loom that runs from the drivers door using the test light do the same procedure , remember to flick the drivers door catch over. hope this helps

Sponsored Links
could you get a second hand micra key off ebay chop the locking part off it reprogram it and use it as a fob?

Back