I’ve got two of the same fridges. How can I troubleshoot the broken one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two Liebherr fridges (T1710) and one of them is no longer cooling. The inside of the fridge is basically room temperature, although the light does come on. The coils at the back don’t have much dust on them, but I cleaned them anyway, and that didn’t work.

I have two of the same model in my kitchen. Can I diagnose what’s wrong with the broken one by taking part off the good one and testing them out on the bad one, and what would be the thing to try?

Attachments

• IMG_8766.jpeg
    IMG_8766.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
I've had a similar product with my Liebherr fridge here. Not impressed so far. @JohnD would this potentially help fix a fridge (no freezer) with a similar issue?

I have two of the same model in my kitchen. Can I diagnose what’s wrong with the broken one by taking part off the good one and testing them out on the bad one, and what would be the thing to try?

That is not really practical..

Is the compressor, the thing which makes the noise, actually running?

Is there a click, as you turn the temperature setting up and down?

You can give it a try, it might work if it blows chilled air through ducts.

But AFAIK this is not a common fault of larder fridges. They usually have next to nothing to go wrong (unless there is a refrigerant leak).

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I’ll try. I can’t see any leaks back there, or ice or dust. Light is on but doesn’t seem to be cooling at all. No idea what it could be.

If the compressor is fine, you may just need a new thermister

I replaced the one in my old Hotpoint fridge twice over 18 years. On each occasion I tested the compressor and fitted a universal thermistor. Mine were very easy to replace. Take the cover off where the temperature dial is and then remove the metal plate at (interior) back of the fridge. At the time, a universal was less than a tenner.

That is not really practical..

Is the compressor, the thing which makes the noise, actually running?

Is there a click, as you turn the temperature setting up and down?
So, I've got answers to these questions:

Both fridges are extremely quiet (the good one included), so it's hard to tell, but I can hear an occasional bubbling sound from the black tub thing at the back of the fridge near the floor.

There is no click when I turn the temp up and down, but that's also the case with the good fridge. I think it must be a design feature that there is no click on this.

I also checked to make sure there was nothing blocking the drainage hole and there wasn't, and the back of the fridge didn't have much dust, but I cleaned it anyway.

Is there anything else I can try, or a simple part to replace that would be worth a try before scrapping this thing?

You could open up the temperature control. Although electronic, it may function as an on/off switch, in which case you could meter the connections, and bridge them.

As above just bridge the terminals to force the compressor to kick in. If it starts running, the thermistor, which is cheap, probably needs replacing.

Pull the fridge into the middle of the room. Remove the cover where the temperature dial and light are (whilst the machine is turned off). Remove the spade terminals for the thermistor, bridge it with a scrap of wire. Stand back and listen to see if the compressor (the bit below the black tub thing) kicks in.

If it does, turn the power off, remove the bridge and buy a new thermistor.

My understanding is that it is the most common reason for a fridge not working.

If the compressor doesn't kick in, then yeah, bin the fridge.

To clarify, the compressor will only kick in if the thermistor tells it to. If the thermistor is dead, it will not tell the compressor to kick in.

I don't intend to sound condescending, but... seriously, check the thermistor. It is singularly, the cheapest component to replace.

If you do need one, call Capital Repairs (west london) and give them the fridge model number. Over the years I have presented with components that need replacing. If they don't have the original, they will recommend a suitable replacement. They have never let me down. My last purchase was a replacement was a new capacitor for my heat pump tumble drier. They tested the old one and gave me a generic one.

I appreciate that if you use them, they will be supply only, but I wanted the opportunity to big them up for the help that they have given me in the past

Thanks guys. That’s really helpful advice. Can I use literally any wire for the test? Even some from a plug cable? (That’s a he only thing I can think of that I have lying around the house.)

That will be fine.

Remember to unplug the fridge first.

Good luck

So I’ve managed to get inside the unit (had to wait for delivery of the right Torx screwdriver). Which two connectors do I need to bridge to test the part (see pic 1).

Also I jumped the gun and bought a part online before seeing the part number inside. I bought a K59 and the original says K57, but the on the side of the part I bought it does also list K57. I don’t know if this means it’s also compatible with K57. Does anyone know if it is?

Attachments

• IMG_8833.jpeg
    IMG_8833.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8836.jpeg
    IMG_8836.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8837.jpeg
    IMG_8837.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 40

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back