I am an idiot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(I have a confession)

Due to a build-up of tree sap that had accumulated on my car, I decided to try and remove it.

(I can feel you bristling already)

I had previously tried using the jet-wash but that had barely touched it. So I inquired with my neighbour, whose bonnet and roof appeared to be sap-free.

"You don't want to use a Brillo pad. My niece did that and made a right mess", he said. "What I usually do is get some really hot soapy water and use the rough scouring side of one of those green kitchen sponges", he added.

So, encouraged by his advice, I prepared a bucket of really hot soapy water and the rough scouring side of green kitchen sponge and began scrubbing away at my car.

(Let's just say, it certainly removed the tree sap!)

Half an hour later, my car started to dry, and my handiwork became apparent. Very apparent. The roof and bonnet were no longer festooned in sap but instead covered in vast swathes of lighter coloured paint where I had rubbed and scrubbed the sap (and a layer of paint) away.

(I know, I know, I'm stupid. But my neighbour said it worked for him!)

So I raced down to Halfords and bought a bottle of Auto-Glym "Paint Restorer" and "Super Resin Polish". These products seemed to be highly rated in most of the reviews I read. I went back home and applied the restorer and then finished off with the polish, as instructed.

Now this has certainly improved things, and it has brought the shine back but it the damage is still obvious.

What I'd like to know is, can I improve on this? If I apply further coats of polish, will the scratches eventually disappear or have I damaged it irreparably? Are there any other products I can apply or am I throwing good money after bad?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You've actually scoured the lacquer coat, rather than the pigmented coat underneath......swallow (!) a little humble pie and visit a body shop for professional advice. They may offer to buff it up for you quite reasonably.
John :)

Oh, that's promising... What do you mean by "reasonable"? I have no idea of how much these things cost.

I'm not able to say, but its amazing what can be achieved by paying cash for a 'guvvy' :D
What I'm saying is, don't bash on any further, consider how much your car is worth before proceeding, or sell it just after a coat of Autoglym.
Either way, when you come to trade it, the dealer will spot the problem straight away.
John :)

Are you politely saying it is f**ked either way? Or do you think it is possible for it to be repaired?

any scuffing in the lacquer (providing it is a 2 pack finish on the car and not just one pack wirth no lacqeur) should be able to be polished out providing its not TOO deep. When repairing minor scuffs and scratches the technique is to wet n dry the lacquer finish down so that when it dries the finish becomes dull and white/grey. then at this point, if the scratches and scuffs have either disappeared or become very very shallow a good buffing with an electric polisher and good compound should bring it back to a shine.

Hopefully for you, you have just lightly dulled the lacquer with the scotch brite pad and not taken too much off. A good indicator is to get some Brasso and suitable polish rag and with some good elbow grease, try and buff out the scuffs. If they disappear you may have been lucky. Otherwise, you may require some more desperate measures.

A few decades ago when I was in the ATC a friend of mine was told the best way to get a really good shine on his boots was to use a wire brush. He believed them too :rolleyes:

It was the fact that my neighbour specifically warned me about using a Brillo pad but then recommended the sponge scourer! That, combined with his car looking fine, convinced me there wouldn't be a problem!

It was the fact that my neighbour specifically warned me about using a Brillo pad but then recommended the sponge scourer! That, combined with his car looking fine, convinced me there wouldn't be a problem!

Next time use a clay bar, gets the paint looking like glass.

I will now give you the advice of someone who has worked in a bodyshop for over 20yrs (myself).
Dont panic its ok, a body shop will be able to polish it back up for you with a machine, it will take around 1 hr and should`nt cost you any more than £40/£50.
We use a product called scotchbright in this trade with is basicly the same as a brillo pad ,and its used as a minor abasive for keying paint work ready to be painted over.
my advice for removing tree sap would be plain old t cut or as mentiond a clay bar wich is far easier than t cut i suppose .
So dont worry just have a trip to the car bodyshop and they beable to see you right.

Sponsored Links
Back