I am an idiot

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your advice, guys.

The bloke from Chips Away came and had a look this morning.

Unfortunately, it's not good news.

He reckons I've "decimated" the paintwork and it will require (forgive me if I haven't got the terminology right) wet and dry sanding down and building back up again. Apparently it's not something he can put some magic polish on and buff out easily.

As the damage is extensive (largely roof and bonnet and a bit of the sides) he reckons it will take a lot of work, at least a day, and will cost at the very least £200+VAT.

Cripes.

Does this sound about right?

My plan now is to take it to a few garages and get some quotes.

For any bodywork beyond a buff i would say £200 is quite good.

Search for car body repairers in your area, not garages.
Most garages will farm the work out, and add a percentage on.

Car body repairers will have the right equipment to prepare the surface, and to bake your paint on.

Sponsored Links
For a start i wouldnt let chips away paint my garden fence!!!!!!
There is no way they are capable of painting the areas you described as damaged, especially to the standard that it was before your little accident.
I think it sounds like for the price hes quoted you an expensive polishing job, but with out seeing the damage i dont know, but what i do know is that a body shop wouldnt paint the areas you describe for that price.
Go and get a few prices off some bodyshops and they might be a little more help full, or get some pics i can see and i might be able to help you a little more

Another update:

I took my car to two garages in York this morning. They had both been recommended to me.

I pretty much received the same advice from each of them (the same as from you guys on here). They said they would try a machine polish and "see how it goes".

Apparently they can't get their nail into the scratches so, unlike the Chips Away guy (who said the paintwork was decimated) they think it is only the lacquer that is damaged. They're not sure if they can get it perfect, they'll just see how it goes. I told them I'm not proud and I'm quite happy with it looking reasonable. The car wasn't in a great state even before this debacle.

They reckon it will take a good few hours work. One garage has quoted me £100, the other £72. I'm going to go with the cheaper one but, on the whole, does that sound reasonable? It certainly sounds more reasonable than the £200+ quoted by Chips Away and the £1000+ for a respray!

sounds about right that really, see i told you chips away was on the blag,he would have just polished it and you would have thought he`d have done a top paint job and recomended him to evey one, i know he just a guy trying to make a livin but in these hard times its best to do a lot of work for a little price.
if you cant get your nail in it then your on to a winner and it will polish out easily enough, at the end of the day its ony a brillo pad youve used and not highly abrasive sand paper, if you tried to t cut it your self it would probably do what you want, and youve saved even more money

Another update!

Took my car to the garage this morning. Picked it up this evening and they've done a top job. It looks so much better than it did!

I'll admit you can still see some of the scratches, if you look across at them in the light, and the bloke at the garage was honest about this. But like he said, there's nothing else they can do other than a costly respray.

It took a little longer than expected and he charged me just over £100 in the end but I'm more than happy with the results.

I'm just wondering now about aftercare. For example, can I use a jetwash? Do I have to treat it with kid gloves now or is pretty much as it was before? Will the scratches emerge again as the polish fades? Do I have to keep it polished?

Sorry for all the questions - as you might have gathered by now, I haven't got a clue!

This sounds like a good outcome - use the jet wash as you will and treat the car to the odd coat of Autoglym in the Spring.
Lets face it - its the same as a car thats only seen a car wash rather than TLC so there will be loads of tiny scratches visible, so worry ye not.
If you decide to trade in at sometime, it won't make a happorth of difference either.
Take care!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back