I am an idiot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(I have a confession)

Due to a build-up of tree sap that had accumulated on my car, I decided to try and remove it.

(I can feel you bristling already)

I had previously tried using the jet-wash but that had barely touched it. So I inquired with my neighbour, whose bonnet and roof appeared to be sap-free.

"You don't want to use a Brillo pad. My niece did that and made a right mess", he said. "What I usually do is get some really hot soapy water and use the rough scouring side of one of those green kitchen sponges", he added.

So, encouraged by his advice, I prepared a bucket of really hot soapy water and the rough scouring side of green kitchen sponge and began scrubbing away at my car.

(Let's just say, it certainly removed the tree sap!)

Half an hour later, my car started to dry, and my handiwork became apparent. Very apparent. The roof and bonnet were no longer festooned in sap but instead covered in vast swathes of lighter coloured paint where I had rubbed and scrubbed the sap (and a layer of paint) away.

(I know, I know, I'm stupid. But my neighbour said it worked for him!)

So I raced down to Halfords and bought a bottle of Auto-Glym "Paint Restorer" and "Super Resin Polish". These products seemed to be highly rated in most of the reviews I read. I went back home and applied the restorer and then finished off with the polish, as instructed.

Now this has certainly improved things, and it has brought the shine back but it the damage is still obvious.

What I'd like to know is, can I improve on this? If I apply further coats of polish, will the scratches eventually disappear or have I damaged it irreparably? Are there any other products I can apply or am I throwing good money after bad?

Sponsored Links
as title...................

YES YOU ARE.

but you aint the only 1 ;) i too done this :oops: :cry: :cry:
i used some colour polish and built it back up but the marks were still there.
i think in your case it may be a call to someone like chips away for a guesstamation,

Colour restorer is basically a light abrasive for bringing back the shine, but you need to go deeper now, what you need is Cutting Compound, you can get this from halfords too, this is more abrasive and will take the surface back to a smooth finish, but be carefull especially on edges as you can rub right through, when the cutting compound stops feeling gritty then wipe it off and do it with the paint restorer, then wax, autoglym resin polish is good. Just do a small area first see how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Back