I Can hear my neighbours water ??

S

splodge

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and hoped that someone somewhere might be able to give me some advice.

My neighbour has spent last 4 years renovating the property adjoining to me...4 years of banging and god knows what else !!

Anyway I have encountered a few problems along the way with him..lies..cock and bull stories...I've heard the lot !!

I have one big major issue I just can't seem to get know where with.

He has installed 2 showers on the party wall...pipes chased into the wall etc...etc....NOW I can here the bloody water running through the pipes to his showers...I just can't belive it...I've never heard anything like it.....and he just won't do anything !!
I've spoken to my council...Building Control and they are suposed to be doing an inspection of the property....when I don't know, but knowing my council ????

Whilst all this has been going on, I have approached this guy again...and he has told me that he has had the water board install his own water feed into the property, and I can probably hear it because of the water pressure !!...but he still won't do anything...or can he do anything ??

I'm at a bit of a loss...why should I have to hear him taking a shower ?

Any advice would be app !!

Sponsored Links
Bahco said:
If it is bothering you that much, speak to your EHO. :(

EHO...its not under there department. They've passed it on to BR.

The point I'm trying to get at ...is....

Water Pressure !! Like regulations etc !!

That is noise polution which is the domain of the EHO !

However, it may just be that you are oversensitive.

I have heard of people who put their ear to the wall and then complain of the people next door making a noise!

Have you measured the noise level?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
That is noise polution which is the domain of the EHO !

However, it may just be that you are oversensitive.

I have heard of people who put their ear to the wall and then complain of the people next door making a noise!

Have you measured the noise level?

Tony

Nah....you can hear it over the TV and almost all over the house. The EHO has been hear and told me that it is not a noise problem...he just won't have it. I had a mate round the other night and they just cudnt belive it !!.
If they turn the taps on in the utility room, which is next to lounge I can hear them...you get my drift ?

The joys of push-fit plumbing eh? Lets see how many inserts/couplings we can get into a system... :LOL:

BoxBasher said:
The joys of push-fit plumbing eh? Lets see how many inserts/couplings we can get into a system... :LOL:

So what we says....cowboys ?

Bahco said:
Maybe its time to sell up :!: :evil:

Ok, so if I sell up and the buyer pays 300k for the house, then moves in...and wonders what the bloody hell is going on....what would you do ?

when he was doing ht eowrks you shoul dhave handed him a party wall act booklet informing him that he needs permissions from you to work on the party wall thius includes fixing thing to it beleive it or not to prevent problems like yours or persons drilling stright through to another property.

if one had been served then court actions could be taken to force remedial actions such as removal of fixings, however as i beleive it must be served/posted ect, after which injunctions could be placed to prevent work on party wall.

if council are dragging their backside you may appoint a legal rep to pursue the matter via letter asking of rthe owner to restore works as they was.

this is an expensive route as letters could be ignored ect, just for the record how do you know they are on the party wall, as usually many do not show things like that to the neighbours and any reasonable solicitor will ask that very question.

doyle said:
when he was doing ht eowrks you shoul dhave handed him a party wall act booklet informing him that he needs permissions from you to work on the party wall thius includes fixing thing to it beleive it or not to prevent problems like yours or persons drilling stright through to another property.

From what limited knowledge I have of the PWA I believe it is the person doing the work that needs to instigate notice under the Act. Not sure it applies to everything fitted to a party wall though, mainly structural.

I will happily stand corrected if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure where you stand with regards to the noise coming from next door. It's not like showering in considered to be anti-social.

I wasn't suggesting the use of plastic piping would indicate cowboys, but I tend to find that plastic pipework can be noisier than full bore copper plumbing systems due to the number of restrictions at joins and elbows...

splodge said:
The EHO has been hear and told me that it is not a noise problem...he just won't have it.

If its so loud then what do you mean by what he says?

If he is turning a deaf ear then write to his Boss ( but do please spell "here" correctly! )

Tony

Agile said:
If he is turning a deaf ear then write to his Boss ( but do please spell "here" correctly! )

Tony
Tony he did spell 'hear' incorrectly he just used the wrong word, :LOL:
Happens all day with me, my boss says you spelt that wrong, I say no just the wrong word, used spell check

I had similar problem where the guy next door had installed a toilet on party wall. Well it was actually the council that did the work cos they guy got some sort of grant for it.

Eventually got the council to come back and put sound insulation on the party wall (which of course meant removing and refitting all the sanitary ware). It made a difference.

Tried to take it as a formal complaint to building control under part E (passage of sound) but it basically came to a dead end as part E apparantly only applies to new builds.

Personally I think we were fobbed off but I havn't got thousands to spend on legal fees which is what something like this would take.

I would suggest that it would be cheaper to sound insulate and replaster your side of the party wall than to persue a legal case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back