Neighbour dispute so he's turned off my water supply! Help!

Technically its probably harassment but again the police will probably not be interested as you have no legal right to a supply through his property.

so any joint set up like the million or so terraced houses sharing water have no rights!!!

does that include shared drains as well then :rolleyes: !!

Sponsored Links
why not escalate the dispute by re-routing your waste into his ceiling void? :D

either that or get straight onto a solicitor or the local mafioso.

I will ask at the CAB as to your rights regarding a shared supply but I am inclined to think that your Environmental Health should be able to advise as it would be a health issue.

The risk to your health and well being would be a factor and even more so if you have young children or a disabled person relying on the supply.

As today is a holiday I would make my displeasure known to him. How you go about that is up to you but dehydration has been known to severely affect my hearing so much that I cannot tell if my music or bass guitar is too loud! :D

Since the problem results fron the dispute then the key to getting water hinges on resolving the despute.

As you dont want to tell us about it then you can pay for your own water supply from the street or live on bottled water!

So far I see it as of your own making!

Tony

What 6ollocks :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Since the problem results fron the dispute then the key to getting water hinges on resolving the despute.

As you dont want to tell us about it then you can pay for your own water supply from the street or live on bottled water!

So far I see it as of your own making!

Tony

WOW jump to conclusions why don't you!

Cutting off of your domestic water supply can be construed as harassment, see here:

http://www.laws.sandwell.gov.uk/ccm...direct/disputes/illegalevictionharrassment.en

Phone your local council and find out the their department which deals with neighbour disputes. Also, keep a diary of everything he does to harass you including exact times, dates, etc.

Unless someone has a legal agreement then there is no legal right to the supply. Although it would be unreasonable to withdraw the use without reasonable notice.

In this particular case its more complicated because of the ( joint? ) freehold and the ( three directors ? ) of the management company.

A solicitors letter asking him to stop interupting the supply and threatening further action including a claim for costs and inconvenience as a result of his actions. That letter needs to be carefully drafted to take into account the shared freehold and management company.

Tony

Its surprising that that you cannot see that my earlier reply was written before I had been able to see what his dispute was about.

To anyone else posting about complicated situations its always better to explain the whole situation first so we done have to draw all the information out over the course of multiple postings.

Tony

We have a 2 year old in the house so I think there must be grounds for the water board to get it sorted asap....retaliation is always pleasing for a moment but I think it will do us more harm in the long run.
the freehold is joint and I think our lease does cover us for a right of supply.

thanks for all your help. Solicitors first thing tomorrow alongwith a call to environmental health and the water board I think is all I can do.

Happy Easter!!!

If the lease contains a right to take a water supply through the other flats than thats all you need.

I would recommend you make a spare copy of the lease to give to the solicitor on your visit.

It should be a fairly straightforward letter for him to draft and send. Also try to get the full and correct name of the offending leaseholder.

It would ideally be better to get the other leaseholder joined in too. Also in any action about him trying to borrow money for or from the managing company ( is that not the same thing as the freeholder? ) if that was a fraudulent action.

The Water Co will probably not want to be involved but the EHO should certainly try to help you and they have very strong powers in the case of any breaches of health acts etc. like daily fines!

Tony

Unless someone has a legal agreement then there is no legal right to the supply. Although it would be unreasonable to withdraw the use without reasonable notice.

In this particular case its more complicated because of the ( joint? ) freehold and the ( three directors ? ) of the management company.

A solicitors letter asking him to stop interupting the supply and threatening further action including a claim for costs and inconvenience as a result of his actions. That letter needs to be carefully drafted to take into account the shared freehold and management company.

Tony

so whats the difference between my right off way over next doors paths to enter my back garden' the sewers that follow the same route and my water supply crossing his land all be it partly indoors!!!

@big-all
in that scenario, if you have had a right of way over someone's land to get to your garden etc for years and years you will have obtained rights by prescription but in the case of water and utilities I don't know if its the same hence my frustration.
The water board have just said its a private issue so they can't control it, they only control from the road up to the boundary of the property and the only way would be to get a new supply in for me...if they can do it. They reckon they might not be able to do it?!

i can feel a phone call to my bank manager coming on.

so its our fault that the guy has been fradulently trying to use our name to take our massive loans!!!
and how can he victimise us like this?
Maybe the management co. has not been set up correctly- legally speaking :?: It worked fine @ my son`s first house ( flat with a small co. run for years by residents) Anyway . a water supply running through another " dwelling" to yours is daft- irrispective of what the neighbour is like . In getting it relaid from the road - a careless Navvy might just cut off the original one by mistake :LOL:

The simple fact of life is that in most prewar properties as well as most converted flats the services are not covered by any wayleave or specific agreement.

The only reference is usually a "right to connect to services" but that does not infer any right to run services through another property, merely the right for the property to be connected.

Laws and reasonable behaviour go out of the window in a situation like this.

I did ask my solicitor for her views but she is watching Oliver. She says she is.....reviewing....the situation.....!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back