Neighbour cut off my water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My next door neighbour had a plumber round today to break into what he thought was his incoming supply . Very annoying as I was in the shower at the time and thought something had gone wrong with it not realising the cold supply had been cut off for quite some time after I had checked out the electrics. The mains passes up his drive then tees of to mine, the plumber said he thought it was just an old supply that went to an outside toilet so broke into and fitted a stop cock then connected up to my neighbours garage supply pipe leaving me with no water. It took me a while to convince them that it was too much of a coincidence that my water had gone off at the same time as as the were cutting pipes that they had no idea where they were going. After finally reconnecting my supply the pressure is not as good as it was. I guess it could be that the extra stop cock that has now been fitted is causing a restriction. Another thing I'm not happy about is I think they plan to bury this stop cock which may lead to problems later. what are my rights with my mains supply that passes through my neighbours property. Should I ask my neighbour to get the plumber back and replace this stopcock with a straight coupler.

Sponsored Links
one of the plumbers will fill you in with more details, but i would have thought if you contact your water company and ask them for a bit of advice on the legallity of things ;)

why dont you kick yor neighbours plumbers b ollox

it will make you feel good

Sponsored Links
check with lawyer but since he did work on your pipe as well as his i think u can proably force him to atleast try and improve your water supply

or kick him in b ollok

get him to remove the stoptap at his expense and replace it in the tee to next door

or failling that kick the pair of them in the b ollox
lol-045.gif

The law about shared pipes is not documented so relies on common sense if anyone went to litigation.

You neighbour has no right to put a stopcock into your supply. He can on a tee off to his garage.

He is not entitled to cover over any valve under the Water Regulations.

Your best advice would be to pay for your own connection but that might cost about £1000 or more.

Sometimes the water supplier is lenient over connection charges as a seperate supply enables them to meter you.

Tony

i share my supply with my neibour
he was after greater preasure so said i would ask for a meter as they would have to seperate the supplyat there cost[f o c]-------wrong----
they can put a meter in where it enters your property and read remotley
on my case under the upstairs floor or 2 ft away in the airing cupboard

east surrey water incase its relivent

The law about shared pipes is not documented so relies on common sense if anyone went to litigation.

You neighbour has no right to put a stopcock into your supply. He can on a tee off to his garage.

He is not entitled to cover over any valve under the Water Regulations.

Your best advice would be to pay for your own connection but that might cost about £1000 or more.

Sometimes the water supplier is lenient over connection charges as a seperate supply enables them to meter you.

Tony

I going to ask him today to put it back to how it was as you've said I didn't think he was allowed to put a stop cock on my supply then cover it even if it is on his property.

The plumber cut into the lead mains pipe live according to neighbour so I guess he would have to do the same again. I wondered if theres a better way to do the job than have water gushing everywhere while trying to make the connection, do plumbers still freeze pipes they can't turn off or would this cause lead pipe to split.

I'm already on a meter but my neighbour isn't, the meter is fitted just before where the supply pipe enters my kitchen. I may ask the waterboard to split our supplies anyway because whenever they use the water my pressure drops quite a bit. Hopefully they will do it for free when I let them know the pipes are made from lead as at my last house they offered to replace all the lead pipework with plastic for free.

Been round to see neighbour but not in so had a look at what he had done.
He's fitted an access cover tube over the stopcock the plumber fitted to my supply pipe but I'm not happy as my water pressure seems down a bit and surely an extra stopcock will cause a restriction.
I don't want to fall out with my neighbour but can I insist he removes the stopcock and puts it back to how it was.

Seen a lot of people on here saying that you should just kick him in the b*****x. I would ask for the stop cock to be his side of the supply. If he does not, you could ask a plumber to bypass the stop cock.
You must work from A to Z before kicking....

Seen a lot of people on here saying that you should just kick him in the b*****x. I would ask for the stop cock to be his side of the supply. If he does not, you could ask a plumber to bypass the stop cock.
You must work from A to Z before kicking....

The stopcock would only have to be removed and a straight coupler put in it's place to put things back as they were.
Reading between the lines I think the plumber left the stopcock in place so he didn't have to work on it live.

I've added a picture to make it clearer.

have you tried opening the stop tap fully open.this wouldnt be a pressure problem more flow.whats he using the supply for in the garage.as this would cause a pressure problem when in use.

have you tried opening the stop tap fully open.this wouldnt be a pressure problem more flow.whats he using the supply for in the garage.as this would cause a pressure problem when in use.

The stopcocks fully open, but I thought it may cause a restiction as it wont be as free flowing as the original piece of 1" pipe thats been cut out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back