Neighbour cut off my water.

It will cause an extra restriction to your supply but not to his! His flow will increase when you are both using water.

The water co will not replace or install any supply on your land free. Thats your job.

They MIGHT connect to their main free if you plead the circumstances otherwise the charge is about £300-£800 depending on which side or road main is located.

You should first get neighbour to remove stopcock as he has no right to place it on your supply.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I don't think the diagrams correct.
There should be stop valve on the main supply which isn't shown!

Going by what you've posted the plumber would have got wet.

Perhaps there is a full bore stopcock available for that pipe size, which would therefore have no restrictive effect on your supply when fully open. If this is available, it is what should have been fitted, if at all.

Get a quote for the work independently (a plumber might not necessarily need to come out to provide this) and give it politely to your neighbour. He may decide not to risk having to pay this one day and get his own plumber back to sort it.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the diagrams correct.
There should be stop valve on the main supply which isn't shown!

Going by what you've posted the plumber would have got wet.

Having now spoken to my neighbour the diagram I posted was not correct so here's how it should have looked. I think the plumber should have connected into my neighbours side of the Y and left mine alone.

I said previously he worked on the pipe live and yes he did get wet, according to neighbour the main stopcock out in the street was seized so they had no choice.

easier said than done looking at a diagram. but best way would have been to cut in on the supply after your neighbours stop tap.he proberbly wouldnt have got wet also.looking at the drawing. if your neighbour needs to isolate the garage supply you will also be cut off :rolleyes:

Bottom line is that he needs to relocate the stopcock to above the branch feeding your house bridge the gap of the cut out section.

When he's done this, I recommend steel toecaps in order to protect your toes as they impact against his testies.

Is there a bit of info' here that's not been explored?
and fitted a stop cock then connected up to my neighbours garage supply pipe

Was your neighbour's garage connected previously? If the answer is no then the plumber has obviously connected your neighbour's garage to the wrong supply pipe!

plumber round today to break into what he thought was his incoming supply
Ask your neighbour to get the plumber back to reconnect his garage to the correct supply.

Is it possible that all the supply pipe is not made of lead ?
If some of it is plastic pipe and a squeeze off tool has been used then this can have an affect on flow rate , especially if it's older black plastic pipe that doesn't regain it's true shape completely.

Just a thought.

Maybe some derbis might gone into your supply pipe as he cut in live pipe? This will reduce the working pressure and poor flow.

It's not a good idea to cut it live as it will stirring up soils and gravel and it will get into house side's pipe. I always freeze pipes up.

They have cut in the wrong pipe therefore they should put it back what it was and reconnect to their supply after their stopcock.

Dan.

Was your neighbour's garage connected previously? If the answer is no then the plumber has obviously connected your neighbour's garage to the wrong supply pipe!

The garage has just been built and there was no water previously.

Is it possible that all the supply pipe is not made of lead ?
If some of it is plastic pipe and a squeeze off tool has been used then this can have an affect on flow rate , especially if it's older black plastic pipe that doesn't regain it's true shape completely.

Just a thought.

No it's definately lead, something else I forgot to mention which Im also not happy about is that he used 15mm copper pipe to go from the lead to the stopcocks. As far as I'm aware copper pipe should not be used underground plus I think it will add to the restriction that the stopcock has created.

Contact the Land registry and obtain a copy of yours AND your neighbours properties. There should be a lien on these deeds specifying at least some of the arrangements for services to the properties. There may be something there that preserves your right to an unfettered water supply

I recall the 1988 water regs which have since been superceeded and they specified that new services should be in blue min. 25mm alkathene.
Prior to this it was accceptable to use fully annealed copper Table Y [thicker walled and supplied on a coil rather than straight lengths]

Prior to this it was accceptable to use fully annealed copper Table Y [thicker walled and supplied on a coil rather than straight lengths]

with type B manipulative fittings. if i remember correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back