Neighbour cut off my water.

I seem to remember that 15mm supply pipe is the minimum allowed, although maybe not recommended.
So the plumber may not have done anything legaly wrong.

I'm interested to know what position your neighbour has taken on all this ?

regards

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember that 15mm supply pipe is the minimum allowed, although maybe not recommended.
So the plumber may not have done anything legaly wrong.

I'm interested to know what position your neighbour has taken on all this ?

regards

My neighbour showed me the piece of lead pipe that had been cut out and the internal bore didn't look much bigger than 15mm but the copper pipe looked like standard copper pipe to me.

When I told him about the pressure/flow reduction since yesterday he said that he wouldn't be concreting in the access covers until the weather improves so if I'm not happy I have until then to get him to get the plumber back.

I get the feeling he won't be happy when I ask him to remove the stopcock on my side and connect up his garages supply to his side of his stopcock tomorrow. I don't want to upset him but it's his plumber thats created this situation.

How very gracious of him :confused:

Out of idle curiousity, what sort of stopcock did the plumber install? Just wondering (other will clarify for me please) if it is suitable for undergound exterior locations.

How very gracious of him :confused:

Out of idle curiousity, what sort of stopcock did the plumber install? Just wondering (other will clarify for me please) if it is suitable for undergound exterior locations.

Thats what I thought.

The stopcocks looked like standard brass to me with 15mm compression fittings, I did look but couldn't see any writing on them. How do I tell if they are suitable for underground.

Sponsored Links
The stopcocks fully open, but I thought it may cause a restiction as it wont be as free flowing as the original piece of 1" pipe thats been cut out.
Just ask him to fit a full bore, 1" lever valve (gas type); a few £££ eaxtra but problem will then be solved.

Any underground fitting shouls be DZR which is a kind of bronze resistant to corrosion.

Any copper underground should be protected from corrosion.

Any stopcock has significant restriction in its design. I expect its this which is causing th erestriction and not the 15 mm tube.

I hope he used compression fittings to connect to the copper!

You would be far better off with your own supply pipe from the street.

Tony

Any underground fitting shouls be DZR which is a kind of bronze resistant to corrosion.

Any copper underground should be protected from corrosion.

Any stopcock has significant restriction in its design. I expect its this which is causing th erestriction and not the 15 mm tube.

I hope he used compression fittings to connect to the copper!

You would be far better off with your own supply pipe from the street.

Tony

Spoke to yorkshire water today mainly about a quote for my own supply which came in at £1500 :eek: there no way I can afford that at the moment so I will be sticking to the shared supply.
I also mentioned what had happened on Saturday this being the main reason I would like my own supply and they told me as many have said on here that my neighbours plumber had no right to tamper with my branch of the shared supply as it is my rresponsibilityand he should put it back as it was.

The copper he used was bare standard 15mm but had been covered with pipe insulation.

I thought it was the stopcock thats causing the restriction but it won't be for much longer as I'm going to insist it is removed.

As he will be bridging the gap he's cut presumably with a couple of leadloc connectors and a piece of copper between them, there's no harm in asking him to use a 22mm copper section.

As he will be bridging the gap he's cut presumably with a couple of leadloc connectors and a piece of copper between them, there's no harm in asking him to use a 22mm copper section.

I was going to ask him to use a piece of the 25mm mdpe pipe he used to connect up the garage using the correct lead to plastic connectors.

Please dont do that!

Its illegal and as it has to be a live connection would not be possible anyway.

I am glad that I dont do plumbing work if you have to make live connections in this weather.

It took me nearly four hours to get just five miles home this evening! Even that was largely because I found a side road which was passable when the road ahead was blocked on a hill.

Tony

Please dont do that!

Its illegal and as it has to be a live connection would not be possible anyway.

I am glad that I dont do plumbing work if you have to make live connections in this weather.

It took me nearly four hours to get just five miles home this evening! Even that was largely because I found a side road which was passable when the road ahead was blocked on a hill.

Tony

Hopefully he wont be working on it live as I've arranged yorkshire water to come out and fix mains stopcock on the 23rd

Is there any point in asking Yorkshire Water what their policy is on replacing lead service pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back