I can't believe someone makes... 24 carat gold plated fuses

Sponsored Links
I think that the people posting to that blog have got it the wrong way round:

"Great Ideas, Bad Execution"?

Those fuses look like they are well executed, but they are a stupid idea - surely the complete opposite of the blog's theme?

And I thought our old mate Russ Andrews was having a laugh with his DeoxIt spray. These sort of products have been the source of many a heated debate with one of my work colleagues, who is a complete HiFi buff.

Sponsored Links
Oh I love hifi snake oil :LOL:

Love to know what that spray is - possibly brasso mixed with wd40 and some sort of technical smelling aroma :rolleyes:

It really is BS I have tried not so good looking interconnects with gold plated there is no difference and a scope would show this - Recording studios while using balanced lines they certainly don't use OFC and gold plated stuff afaik - it is all BS!

there is no difference
Probablly not with most audio connectors, it does vary with how aggressive the connector is though (edge connectors pretty much have to be gold plated if you want them to work reliablly)

and a scope would show this
Bear in mind that DSOs usually only have 8 bit resoloution and analog scopes aren't going to show differences that small either. Scopes are usefull but you should understand thier limitations.

(edge connectors pretty much have to be gold plated if you want them to work reliablly)
Edge connectors have no place in domestic hi-fi equipment.

Actually, I'm not sure they have a place in anything of any quality.

Sinclair Spectrum.

I did say "I'm not sure they have a place in anything of any quality"... ;)

And even leaving aside any discussion of Spectrum quality, what bandwidth did the edge connector have to support, and what MTBF did it have to exhibit?

I had a 3.5 disk drive unit plugged into mine - actually, given that the drive cost more than the Spectrum and actually powered it through the edge connector, it was more a case of the Spectrum being plugged into it.

...had a multiface plugged into it's own edge connector!

Edge connector on the side of my Amiga 500 as well. Had a 110MB hard drive and 8MB cache plugged in.

"I had... I had... I had..."

I had a car once, and the engine management system comprised a spring in the distributor and a manual control which adjusted the fuel:air ratio when starting.

Times change.

PCs (from the cheapest ****tiest ones to the top end workstation/server machines) make heavy use of edge connectors and have done for many years. Occasionally you get contact problems but in my experiences it's pretty low on the list of problem sources.

RAM modules have not been made other than using edge connectors for two decades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back