I find it too hard to start my petrol mower - any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's nothing wrong with it. From new I couldn't start it. When a guy tries, no problem, but I'm just not strong enough and don't pull the rope hard enough or correctly. Choke's fine etc, as I say others can start it just not me. Are there any tricks or ways to make starting easier????

Sponsored Links
tried a gym? ;)
or use it as an excuse to get the hubby to do it, or hire a hunky gardener...

This is the mower:-
Champion R484SP 46cm mower
 150cc petrol engine
 46cm Cutting width
 5 cutting height settings
 55L grass collection box
 Self propelled

Sponsored Links
It looks like a brigs and Stratton motor, they are very hard to start. I always take the air filter off and squirt a small amount of petrol into the carburettor. You should have got a Honda.

you'd think they could make these things "kick start".... then most people would be able to do it.. just jump on the thing..

Keep on trying, you'll will eventually get better at it! ;)

happy - assuming choke & throttle are in correct starting positions try this method:
1. put your left foot (assumes you're right handed) on the machine below where the recoil starter cord emerges from the engine - this is to steady the machine.
2. using 2 hands gently pull the starter cord a couple of times (you'll feel a bit of resistance as the piston moves in the motor), this action is a bit like those guys in the movies trying to start old aeroplanes.
3. now you're ready to start - position steadying foot on the mower then quickly, in a two handed grip, whip the starter cord from low left across your body to high right in a fast action.

This technique was demonstrated to Mrs Symptoms by me and it works every time for her.

Does it have a primer? 4 pushes on the primer button and mine starts first time every time (Briggs and Stratton engine)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back