I "fink" therefore i am.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I remind my sprogs on a daily basis that the word "fink" is a type of truss design, amongst other things and is not anything to do with thought or words beginning with th.

I will keep on correcting/reminding them until i am blue in the face and will not give up.

Neither my wife or i use the 'f' letter in place of 'th' but a heck of a lot of kids at school do. I had a placement from the local school last week on work experience who sincerely believed that it was how you pronounced the letters th.

I know this is old ground but i feel i should not give up. My mom would pounce upon us for any mispronounced words and for that i am now grateful.

Sponsored Links
Tells us a lot about the standard of education in this country.

I have difficulty understanding why so many people (including posters on this site) who have passed through years of education and still use i instead of I.

One of our regulars claims that ~ is a hyphen while others end sentences with... Inappropriately

Quote, 'et al' and 'Sic' without any understanding of what they mean or when to use them.

Sponsored Links
And, hey, the education authorities don't even correct poor spelling in exams, or drop marks, because the intent was there. If they don't correct these errors now, then it just sets a precedent for the pupil's future writing skills.
And as for text speak, don't even get me started (Grumpy git shaking his fist in the air :LOL:)

Who's gonna have a word with PBD? ;)
There is some nasty bugs going about, it's just took me three weeks to shake something off, an inner ear infection to boot!
larfargic, heavy legged and dizzy. Feel a bit of man flu coming on!

Maybe he meant one of these and forgot ;)

Thing is, Red, it occurs frequently on this site. Children are fine to correct, adults should know better so I think it's condescending to tell them their spelling, punctuation, etc. is wrong, or to mock them. I just try to make sure that what I write is grammatically correct ! :D

The problem is though, no matter how many times i correct the sprogs they are influenced by their friends at school, so i am fighting a losing battle.

Now, if all parents taught their children to speak properly........ :idea:

Oh jesus christ..when did how you type on forums become important?

If people don't KNOW how to write/type or speak, that is bad, when they want to abbreviate though what is the problem?

I will write how I want to write, if it is marginally quicker for me to type i instead of I then I will do so, if i want to **** around with syntax I will too...

Got me thinking,,,,,,,, So what does the word "Innit" mean. I hear it all the time off young people, yet have got to find this word in the OED.

Something else I have noticed is young people's accents these days. Seems to be a mixture of West Indian, Pakistani, Cockney, Estuary English and Scouse. Innit. Yeah right. Safe, Geezer etc etc.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ohh before I forget, another word they seem to use incorrectly is OF.

As in " I got some gear of him." ,,, " I would of got some beer but I didn't have enough money. " ,,,, "I would of kicked his head in if he'd been smaller and not wiv some mates, innit." etc etc ,,,Ad Infinitum. ;) ;) ;)

I often wonder what is actually being taught in English classes in the UK. Or should I say what is being learnt. We had a holiday in Sweden a couple of years ago. The kids there must have taken their English lessons very seriously. Talking to one of them was like having a conversation with an Oxford dictionary.

Sponsored Links
Back