I have a question about the 17th ed exam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys I'm new here but have been reading the posts for some time now
I have a question if anyone can answer for me, I've been an electrician for 25 years and a friend of mine took the 17th ed exam last night and failed, he said everyone else in his class failed too, ( the highest result in his class was 70%) but he told me the examiner dropped the pass rate from 75% to 60% so most of them passed ??
Can this be allowed to happen ? If its a 75% pass rate it should be stuck at 75% ?
Any help on this matter will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Are the company that ran the "exams" the same company that trained the candidates ?

If the answer is yes then it does happen because a training company that has a high failure rate in exams is going to lose business. It then has to do something to be able to publish high "pass" rates.

Some "training" companies are out to make easy profits with little if any regard for the quality of training and future ability of the people they "train" .

I'm assuming you are talking about the C&G2382,
The pass mark will be set by City and Guilds and from what I remember is somewhere in the 60% region. The exam is done on a computer so I don't think the examiner can just alter the pass mark like that.

Yes it's the same company , and yes I did tell him it would have something to do with their pass rates ! I just think its wrong they can be allowed to drop it and thank you for replying

Sponsored Links
He told me the examiner said it was 75% pass before exam but everyone failed (the highest being 70%) so they dropped pass to 60% ?
And yes it's the 2382

I don't think the C&G work like that, you get a printout as soon as you finish telling you if you passed. Especially given the exam is the same all over the country - 60 random questions from the C&G database. The hardest part of the exam when I did it was getting the computer to work!!

I don't think the C&G work like that, you get a printout as soon as you finish telling you if you passed. Especially given the exam is the same all over the country - 60 random questions from the C&G database. The hardest part of the exam when I did it was getting the computer to work!!

lol yeah me too
but hes def told me that they all failed to start with and once they dropped the pass rate some of them passed ?
i know something aint right here but anyway my mate only got 51% anyway so he failed pathetically lol

Either he just wasn't interested or the course was completely useless - it isn't exactly rocket science looking in a book to find the answers!! It is made even easier by the C&G putting the questions into areas and giving multiple choice answers!

yeah , he also told me weeks ago the tutor told him that the exam would not be in areas , i told him it would be , and it was ! he was nearly in tears when he was telling me that he failed , so it wasnt really the time for me to tell him to give it up as he only got 51% lol

I think the pass % varies and is often adjusted, I was told when I took mine it was about 85%.
Lets be honest, if you get less than 70% on an open book exam, you should be failed!

I can't see it being as high as 85%, if Dingbat was still here he'd know.
I think the C&G do change the pass mark for the IT&C exam but I fail to see the point for the regs one, the exam doesn't get any more difficult from time to time.
I got 97% in the 2382 update exam and passed :D

2391 was pass or fail when I took it, never got a % mark on cert or related paperwork.
I assume there must be a pass mark for the written exam.
Should still be a higher pass mark than 60-70%, you have all the answers in front of you for 17th eds!

Yes, I just got a certificate through in the post for the 2391 however the centre where I did the exam knew I had passed before the certificate turned up.
You don't get to find out what % you get in that one, from what I understand the pass mark does change for this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back