I have my own pictures of the week!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Click for large images - my apologies that this image hosting site seems very slow - must find a better one)

Little brother lives in a bedsit in Derby, where several of them share a loo down the hall - which has one of these:

I mentioned to him that there was no bonding to be seen, which he passed on to the landlord thinking not much would be done. So I was somewhat surprised to find this on my next visit...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the most useless bit of bonding ever seen!

Honestly, what's the point?

Superb handiwork! The connection on the right (which sadly didn't photograph so clearly) is actually shoved BEHIND the screw tab onto the pipe and can be pulled out with my little finger...

The left's not much better:

Your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Be greatful you got that - Loo's are not a special location and require no bonding ;)

Is there a shower, bath, swimming pool, padling pool in the room?!?

Sponsored Links
What have the done to the earth clamp on the right hand side, have they assembled it wrong or just put the screw on the wrong side?? Have they cleaned the pipe before applying the clamp?
I don't quite understand what they were trying to accomplish, neither does the installer by the looks of it.....

If someone asked me to bond that, I would say to them it was waste of money. Even taking the earth wire to the CPC of the hand wash is pointless.

Pointless pointless pointless.

No need for bonding there AT ALL.

Wait and see if your bro's rent go's up....... :LOL:

I expect the landlord got it done to keep people sweet, and I would not be supprised at all if he did him self by the look of it.

Why are people BONDING fixated? See a pipe, bond it. DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT.

Lectrician said:
Why are people BONDING fixated? See a pipe, bond it. DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT.

Hear, hear!

I think every spark in the land should be compelled to sit a separate Earthing and Bonding exam and be forced to attend remedial classes should they fail. ;)

Would now be a bad time to say that I'm a fan of bonding hot to cold at basins regardless of where it is, dispite BS7671 not actually requiring it :LOL:

Adam_151 said:
Would now be a bad time to say that I'm a fan of bonding hot to cold at basins regardless of where it is, dispite BS7671 not actually requiring it :LOL:
But you give a reason for doing it Adam?

taps in a pair are metal objects that are very likely to be touched at the same time with wet hands so imo it does make sense to bond thier supplies together even if the rest of the room does not have any bonding.

Softus said:
But you give a reason for doing it Adam?

Indeed, I feel that its quite likely a user of the basin may have wet hands (imagine that!) and be touching both hot and cold taps at the same time, I can see the advantage in bonding them to remove the possibility of there being a potential across them, I can't imagine a situation where there would be a disadvantage to doing it

Bonding any further than this to anything else however... local cpcs and main earthing terminals, etc I would not support as it has the clear disadvantage as it can introduce a potential and if bonding is not done 100% like it is in a bathroom...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back