i have this porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a porch which is 10ft by 5ft which seems to wooden clad i hat it and would love to get rid of it but anyway was wondering about getting it pebble dashed so it at least looks like the house abit more!! i would need two walls done, my question is would this be expensive and would it be waterproof and what matience would it need??

Sponsored Links
sorry,i was asleep.i dont think id pebble dash on timber.knock it down and rebuild in brick

Not a pebble dash expert but I don’t think you can apply it over timber; I think it's unlikely to be be waterproof either. If the basic structure is still sound, you could replace the timber cladding with plastic.

If you do plan to knock it down & start again, make sure you don’t breach Planning & Building Regulations or you may have to knock it down again;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonporch

Sponsored Links
If you do plan to knock it down & start again, make sure you don’t breach Planning & Building Regulations or you may have to knock it down again;

....and if you have to knock it down a third time - you're out! :eek:

ok if i knock it down and put up brick will that not be very expensive its around 8ft by 5ft. I think its leaking now through the timber slats or the roof which would it likely to be? the roof does need replacing and have someone coming to do it next week charging me 300 pounds to do it, the water is running down the wall but cant figure out wether it is the roof or the wall

Weather it’s regarded as expensive is subjective & based on what other action you can take to successfully repair what you already have, how long it will last, what sort of porch you want & on your financial circumstances. A decent, internally plastered porch with a damp proof membrane in the floor, cavity walls, lighting, a decent roof, good insulation, double glazed windows & a security door will help keep your house warm, give better security & allow a dry environment in which you can store coats, shoes, boots or whatever takes your fancy. No offence but what you currently have sounds little more than a damp, draughty timber lean-too, well past it’s “sell by” date; hardly in the same league. Rather than spend £300 on a new roof which, from what you say, may not even cure the problem you may be better to put the money towards starting again with a new structure, based on what you can afford. My porch cost £1,400 but was built to a high spec. & is under an existing, external pitched roof so I didn’t have the cost of a new roof. A pitched roof may have added another £600 but I’m purely guessing. It depends on what you want from the porch & the build spec. the only way you’ll get an accurate cost is to get some quotes in.

If you do decide to knock it down & start again, the floor area must not exceed 3 sq/m externally (10ft x 5ft is approximately 4.5 sq/m), it must not be within 2m of any boundary or over 3m high; exceed any of these & you will require Planning permission. There are other requirements (see my previous link) it must meet to ensure it complies with Building Regulations exemption.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back