I have to do a presentation. Advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of you guys have wise old head on you and come up with good stuff to take note of so im asking for some advice.
I have a job interview where i need to give a 5 minute presentation, subject being...Leading a team for World class operations and services.

I guess the main issue here is to talk about what makes a good team etc etc.

Im thinking of starting of by a small introduction of what i aim to say i.e
The ultimate target is to achieve World class service and operations, and then prattle on how this can achieved by creating a team and what make that team work.

Now should i stick to the subject title or i was thinking of going beyond for example:
" ...what are we trying to achieve? The answer. World class services and operations. Not only do we want to achieve this but we want to be the best in the world and to achieve this we need a team "etc etc etc

Any advice please as im crap at these kind of things

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) stick to the brief. It it says 5 minutes, do it in 5 minutes. If it says subject is X, talk about X.

2) Ask what technical aids will be available. Have a back-up plan Keep it simple. Don't use gimmicky effects or fonts.

3) Practice talking it through. Don't write a script. See how long it takes you to talk through one slide or flip. Divide that into the time available and subtract 25%

4) They are assessing your ability to give presentatons. Note the names of the people you are talking to before you start. Work out their jobs and their interests so you can relate to them. they may also be interested to see if you are approaching the question liek a person with teh job you are interviewing for (Correct perspective, asking the right questions, conscious of what is achievable maybe)

5) Introduce yourself. Pause. Say what you're going to talk about, and what you aim to achieve, At the end, remind them what the objective was, and ask them to agree that you've done what you said you would.
The intro and objectives should be on slides 1 and 2. The confirmation should be on the final, and should quote the objective as shown on slide 2.

6) Tell them you'll acccept questions as you go along. At the end of each "page" check for Q's. Pause. If asked a question you're going to cover later, say "I'll cover that in a moment". When you do cover it, look at the person who asked the question and say "does that cover your point, George?" (or whatever his name is). If asked an out-of-scope question write it down (to show it isn't being ignored) and say it's not part of the presentation, but you can discuss it later if you like. If asked a question you don't know the answer to, say so. In 5 minutesyou haven't got time for open ended discussion.

7) Put up a "menu" of what you're going to talk about at the beginning. Itemise it. Use few words on your Powerpoint slides or flipcharts. The aids are pointers, not text. 12 words are good, 20 words are more than enough.

8 ) If they stop listening to chat or answer phones, pause, and look at them until they acknowledge you and start to pay attention.

9) If there are buns or biscuits on the table, find an excuse to move them out of reach so they have to concentrate on you until you've finished.

10) Use spell checker. It's "I'm" not "im"

//www.diynot.com/search/forum....t=0&author=&search=Search+Forum&mode=advanced

Dont say things like 'Um, you know what I mean, to tell the truth.
All the things that annoy you.
Have clean shoes, be smart. look at all the people not just the pretty one.

Also a good idea to have a glass of water - if you stall/lose your track you can use taking a sip of water to cover it - also helps stop your mouth drying up.

Sponsored Links
If it were full presentation to a company you were already working for, I would agree with most of the points JohnD made, however, it's a job interview and the presentation is only 5 minutes.

I would prepare a script and then make some bullet points that you intend to cover. There's nothing wrong with referring to this during the presentation. You probably won't have time to use tech aids, so preparing some kind of diagrammatic hand-out might be best. Maintain good eye contact across all those present. Don't mention anything you aren't prepared to be questioned about. If you are doing the intro, presentation, summary thing, I would suggest half to one minute, 3-4 minutes and again half to one minute, with any questions left to the end.

a) explain what your talk is about
b) give the speech
c) summarise what you have just told them

5 mins is a long time without visual aids
Allow a min of 1 hour preparation for every min of your talk
practise practise practise
Finally unless you are used to public speaking you will probably find that you go through it a lot quicker when your in front of an audience.
It's just nerves so make allowance for this.

I disagree with Anobium about 5 minutes being a long time without visual aids.

A 5 minute talk will go particularly quickly though I agree that you will talk a lot faster when nervous so you should allow for this in the preparation.

Start with an objective, follow with the main brief and end with a resume and questions.

If you do use visuals DO NOT simply read from the slides ... Talk around the subject matter instead.

Good luck

MW

If you find you talk too fast

pause

between sentences

it really does

work

And it gives your audience time

for their brains to process your fast speech.

Believe in what you're saying. Then it will come from the heart and not just your mouth.

Be enthusiastic about it. You need to bring it to life.

Smile. From the inside, not just a toothless grin.

Try and introduce something unique about either what you are saying or how you present it. Bring a smile to their face.

Sponsored Links
Back