i know nothing about plumbing......simple questions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HIYA
my radiators are filled with sludge....i think they are very old and prob rusty inside.
because of the sludge the attic one doesn't get hot anymore ....at first got hot...then half hot...now nada!
iwhen i cleaned it out it worked....for a day :( so a few questions

1) in an old system is there much point in getting the power flushed or will the prob just come back?
2) if i get a whole new CH system with a combi boiler will they change the pipes aswell and if not wont they just be filled with sludge?

THANKYOU, marie-clare

Sponsored Links
yes a power flush would remove all sludge leaving system to operate properly, if you replace the system and use existing pipework sludge could be left in pipes below draining point. however i would expect any reasonable engineer to flush the system anyway.

what i would base it on is how old is the system and is it likely to need changign in the near future. is it worth spending money on or not.

It would be a good idea to seek professional advice on this problem !!
It depends how old and corroded the system is !
There is obviously a problem with the system layout to cause the corrosion!
It normally depends on pipework condition and general installation standard which decides me to flush and reuse or replace!!
Other installers will obviously have a differing opinions!!
Eg: Rip it all out and fit a cheapo combi with micro bore plastic!! :eek:

It would be a good idea to get a couple of opinions (not the throw a combi at the wall brigade)

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber but I would suggest:

if you have a sludge problem (which is quite usual in old systems)

- look for, and fix, causes - e.g. air being sucked in; pumping over into F&E through vent; leak drawing in fresh water, solid blockage somewhere

- put a Magnaclean on it, this will trap all the circulating black sediment and prevent it forming any more blockages than you already have. it will cost you about £100 and is not a difficult DIY plumbing job to fit

- give it a chemical clean, this is an easy DIY job and will only cost you £15 or so for the cleaner (and about the same for inhibitor afterwards). it will loosen an amazing amount of black, which the Magnaclean will trap and retain.

The Magnaclean will carry on trapping any loose sediment indefinitely to prevent it building up again, and only takes a few minutes to empty from time to time

If you still have a problem, or later have a new boiler fitted, then you may need to have blockages cut out and/or a powerflush; but you will have lost little by taking the earlier steps, they will certainly improve the situation, and may even cure it.

Professionals will tell you that a powerflush does a more thorough job, and I do not doubt it, but you can keep a few hundred pounds in your pocket if you start by taking the steps I suggest, and if you have done them first, they will improve the results even if you have a powerflush later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back