I need a clever idea!

IG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am sure most people these days have a similar problem as me, loads of gadgets and ugly wires runnings everywhere. I have the TV, Xbox360, Wii, Virgin Box (NTL), Virgin broadband modem, Netgear wireless router, DVD surround sound, and the telephone all sitting in one tall media cabinet, trouble is as this is one of the designer open plan affairs, you can see every plug and adapter hanging down the side.

I am looking for a clever way to reduce this footprint and generally neaten the solution. I have considered making a panel in the floorboards and putting a hinge on it, this way I could put a large multiplug adapter and hide them all away, my concern then is how safe that would be having this under the house and totally out of sight.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
This guy and his friends just love having lots of lovely wires under the floor to chew on....

housemouse.jpg

Cute.

IG - even if you do that you'll still see all the cables hanging down - not sure what you want to achieve by having them go through a hole in the floor...

Some suggestions:

1) Get a rack with cable management features.

2) Get rid of some of the stuff (e.g. why do you need the Netgear router AND a broadband modem?)

3) Relocate some of the stuff (wireless routers can go out of sight, do you really need the phone in the rack, etc)

Get rid of some of the stuff (e.g. why do you need the Netgear router AND a broadband modem?)

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the NTL cable broadband service, Ban, but the 'cable modem' is provided by your ISP, and even if you could source a cm of your own, you couldn't use it, the mac hardware address is logged against your account, and configuration scripts are downloaded to the modem via TFTP and are model specific, etc

When sharing your cable internet connection, you have to get a standalone broadband router (without any ADSL modems in it) thats suitable for use with cable modems, and link it up via ethernet

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
why do you need the Netgear router AND a broadband modem?
It's pretty obvious that it's a cable modem. :rolleyes:

wireless routers can go out of sight
And if you really want to attenuate the signal, a lead-lined box would hide the router really well. :rolleyes:

There are those cable tidy things, which are basically split flexible corrugated plastic, but that doesn't look much nicer than the cables themselves.

The problem is always the length of the cable, and the assortment of wall warts that are necessary, which on the whole don't like being enclosed (though my recent Nokia one seems to be much lighter and doesn't get hot so I guess the technology is improving).

I've been meaning for ages to invent a wonderful new system that replaces all that cabling with a standard connection and hence make a fortune, but I guess you may have to wait a while until I find time ;)

Best option I can think of is to create some sort of 'box' that everything can be hidden in, with enough space for the heat to escape, and all the cables to be hidden.

BAS probably has the most practical idea of seeking out a rack designed for media, with suitable cable management features, but I'm betting they aren't cheap. Depends how much you hate those cables I guess.

How about making a feature of them and wrapping LED lights round the cabling like some sad IT nerds do with their computer cables....... ok, maybe not
:LOL:

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the NTL cable broadband service,
Nope - ADSL seems to work perfectly well, and as for TV I find I can't watch all of the quality programmes that are on terrestrial broadcast TV, and I'm not mental enough to pay for rubbish that I couldn't watch anyway.

Ban, but the 'cable modem' is provided by your ISP, and even if you could source a cm of your own, you couldn't use it, the mac hardware address is logged against your account, and configuration scripts are downloaded to the modem via TFTP and are model specific, etc

When sharing your cable internet connection, you have to get a standalone broadband router (without any ADSL modems in it) thats suitable for use with cable modems, and link it up via ethernet
And they all have to be on display in the living room, do they?

Blimey - just how many reasons do there have to be to not have any of that stuff?

ban-all-sheds said:
And they all have to be on display in the living room, do they?

Blimey - just how many reasons do there have to be to not have any of that stuff?
Oh, good call - someone wants help with cable management and your best effort is to tell them they don't need all the equipment that they already have. And get it wrong in the process. :rolleyes:

Shops like computer world use a false wall at the rear of and under the "worktop". These have the connectors behind and the wires come through a hole which has a brush type insert. Maybe worth having a look. Should be easy to copy as is or modified.
Best of luck
V

Why don't you get a large multi way socket strip as used in data racks

powerstrip1.jpg

Mount it vertically on the wall in a corner, then make up a wooden cover (that can be decorated) with a piano hinge on one side and slots to allow cable to exit toward the device.

The hinge allows access and opening and closing and the two bits of wood (say 4-5" width) make for a flexible boxing in and concealment.

Magnet fastener or even Velcro to close the boxing when access not needed.

Chri5 said:
Calm down
I don't know why you've interpreted what I've written as an indication of lack of calmness.

Maybe you'll explain. I don't know. :shrug:

1st few post I read this morning were this one and the mid week photo post, both seemed to rackle you.

I've never seen posts from you that were, how can I say, a bit antsy.

I put it down to a PMT moment, hence the post which was intended to lighten your mood not offend :LOL:

Fair play. No risk of offence being taken.

I've never heard of the words "rackle" and "antsy" before, but it looks like you have everyone's best interests at heart, so consider my mood hereby lightened. :)

all very good and well there chri5, but how do you plug a "wall wart" adapter into one of those?

OP...if you could post a picture of this monstrosity that you are trying to tidy up then we might be able to come up with better ideas...

most bookcases / media cabinets etc have a void under the bottom of it so the first shelf is not on the carpet.. extension leads fit very nicely under them..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back