I need a new workbench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im after a workbench, the one i have is very basic cheap one and covered in paint plaster. Wat do you guys reccomend and what sort of price, or best place to buy. Do they do them that hold doors.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
heres how to make your own portable wedged door holder

2ft length 4 by 2inch wood cut a channel 65mm wide 2 inches down from the top 11 inch from each end cut at an angle one side of about 7% to fit
cut a wedge in so when the wedge is fitted the chanel will have parralell sides

you lay the door lenthways into the block on the floor one end tighten the wedge you now have a secure door with a piece of wood at the other end of the door on the ground for protection

you can now cut hinge pockets mortices and plain half the door
easily hands free

If you can stretch to it go for one with the foot peddle to tighten. We've all tried to clamp something into a workmate by trying :LOL: to tighten the jaws with a knee. :LOL: Well haven't we?????????????????????
Gem

Thanks for your advice guys i went for a black and decker wm825 a bit bigger and a lot sturdier than my last work mate.

I inherited my old man's Workmate. Must be 30+ years old, and perhaps bought when they first came on the market. It has cast aluminium struts supporting the worktable, hinged on a steel frame with a step, and has ply jaws/worktop (we're talking here of something like 1" thick 20 ply!)

As far as I can see, looking around current brands, you can't get "proper" workmates like this any more. They're all bent steel and MDF, and nowhere near as rigid as the old style.

Or can you still buy "proper" Workmates? I would find it useful to have another of these.

no you definatly cant get the cast ali wm any more refurbished my dads ali workmate [big star screws in the frame ] used 2x12mm ply glued to make new jaws use old jaws as a template
why not try carboot sales there must be plenty old boys hanging up there BLACK PEGS :LOL:

Black pegs! Now that's a point, Big-all. My black pegs have lost their springiness thingy so they keep falling out when I transport the WM. I'm going to investigate this further.

dont know if you know it you can buy spares the big orange one 4 for a fiver last time i looked[b&q

I bet they're made with inferior plastic - not "proper" plastic :LOL:
I'll take a look next time I'm in B&Q

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back