Recommend a Newbie a Workbench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

My new hobby is DIY. I need a workbench. What should I buy? Should I spend more and get something advanced, or will something very simple do?

I don't anticipate major jobs, but it would be good to have something that could cope if I get more skilled.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I certainly can not recommend the wobbly Stanley Project Centre. :mad:

Also check the wooden jaws, as many are now MDF - which tends to snap very easily.

You certainly would not be disappointed with a Superjaws. I never use my black & decker workmate since getting one of these, there is very little difference in price between a top of the range B&D workmate and this,

Used to be around £100, although I picked one up when B&Q were selling them off for around £30, one of the best buys I've ever made from B&Q

a ton of clamping force, can even clamp a 3ft door,

This website seems to give a good description of how it works

http://www.raygirling.com/sjcomp.htm

Sponsored Links
Yeh, superjaws are great, bit awkward to lump about though.

As a beginner, try making a small workbench out of 4x2 and old bit of kitchen worktop. Slap a half decent vice on and much better than any workmate type fellah.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back