A 'good' workbench?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to do a little diy but I haven't a lot a space to do it in. Therefore I'd like to get a workbench type affair that I can fold up and pack away and also take to my inlaws house occasionally as they have more space.

However when I look around the net I constantly see people mentioning how rubbish folding workbenches are!? Could someone here tell me if this is indeed the case or if they are a valuable tool that will allow me to flex my woodworking skills. :confused:

Some recommended models would be much appreciated too.

Sponsored Links
gizmo - I've got a Black & Decker Workmate bought in 1976 and still going strong when needed (not very often these days).

You could also think about making your own modular system for a range of equipment. I base mine on my DW Universal Legstand for my mitre saw; DeWalt offer mounting brackets (standard & long length) as accessories so get as many as you need to bolt onto the bases of your equipment, then clip the tackle onto the legstand. Mitre saws, router table, table saw, etc. can all be clipped on/off. I've even got an old Black & Decker Jobber (a type of mini, desktop workmate) on DW brackets to clip onto the legstand. As you build up your collection of tackle/machines a modular stand system like this might be the answer - but in the short term the faithfull Workmate, IMO, can't be bettered.

Try your local recycling centre for a used workmate if your funds are stretched - my centre always has unwanted workmates in the metal skip - usually 'cos one of the leadscrew split-nuts is knackered. Just canabalise a couple of w/mates to get the bits.

Snap. I bought my Workmate in 1976, and it had a lot of use in the early days. I also have a more recent one (not as well made, in my opinion) which I use occasionally.

The original design with two working levels and a footplate which you can use to brace the bench with your leg is very versatile and satisfactory to use. I'm not so sure about other portable benches which don't have the footplate.

yep deffo workmate all the way if space is limited.i remember using mine when i first went out on site,the amount of p155 taking was unbelievable but within a few days i had everyone asking if they could borrow it,there very versatile,even if its just to sit on to have your lunch.

Sponsored Links
Theres quite a few different ones about, but imo, the B&D workmate is probably the best. The only problem i find, is they are slightly to low for some tasks, even with the legs folded out. But they are all around the same height.

I think Screwfix was banging mid rang ones for about £30 the other day.

Whatever you do, don't buy the Stanley Project Centre :evil:

Any B&D is good.

Also check out the Draper Expert 1000.

I have a Wolfcraft Mastercut 1000 - which holds a circular saw, jigsaw or router as well as a carpenters vice and other holding and cutting aids. Only problem with this is that I don't know what paint they used, but the black surface marks any bare bit of timber put on it :rolleyes:

I have a Wolfcraft Mastercut 1000 - which holds a circular saw, jigsaw or router as well as a carpenters vice and other holding and cutting aids. Only problem with this is that I don't know what paint they used, but the black surface marks any bare bit of timber put on it :rolleyes:

mines is just untreated mdf is yours painted mdf woody!!! :rolleyes:

Probably - some cheap black paint at that :evil: It's so annoying

I've been meaning to put a coat of varnish on it.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Looks like they're a solid purchase then.

Woody, the Draper Expert 1000 looks a good buy and very versatile but looks a little too heavy for my use.

I'm erring on the side of getting a B&D WM301 or WM825. The 301 is very cheap and compact but I wonder how versatile it is? Could someone tell me if it would be able to handle light router work? Or would I be looking to get the heavier WM825 for that type of work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back