I need help - changing cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cooker switch 30amp above my current cooker which i am replacing.
I have been told by an electrician that he would have to move it and also put in something called rcd's on my consumer unit and that its not just a case wiring up the new cooker.

Is this right or is he after more work?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the switch is directly above the cooker location (many are) it will have to be moved
that will be new work and will be done to new regs
This will probably mean an RCD on the circuit.

Lets see the pic first.......

Thanks for your replies, i have attached a pic, not the best

i'm due to get the kitchen refitted early next year but as my current cooker is not working I need to replace now. If possible I would like the new one just wired to where the old one isso dont want to spend loads on electric at the mo as will get sorted when kitchen gets redone.

thanks again

Sponsored Links
He's right. You cannot have the isolation switch above the cooker location.
They used to do it like that sometimes with the old type cookers which had the eye-level grills but its not allowed now.

So yes, the cooker circuit has to be moved and this will mean an RCD will have to go on that circuit as the new wiring will have to comply with the new regs. And the new regs say and RCD is required if the wiring is below the surface.
(As an aside to some of the 'learned' people on this forum. I am giving a simplified version of the requirements here, OK? Not a full monty 18 paragraph discussion of every nuance of the requirements.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back