I need legal advice re dodgy land lord + boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please refer to my thread :

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/question-on-boilers.298059/

for a whole list of problems.

Just wanted to know legally who do I go to to get this sorted as the boiler keeps hitting 3 bar and shutting off.

I can't stay cold over xmas I have a baby boy. Im actually quite concerned as the land lord is not answer calls or texts/emails.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Have you got a copy of your contract? You do not have to grant him nor his engineer to your flat. He should, by law, have registered your deposit with a registered scheme.

Have you tried taking some water out by the bleed nipple on the radiator? Let it go down to 2 bar. Water pressure will raise when heated. I have gone though your link. I feel sorry for you. I hate these boilers, I just replaced one for a valiant. Tell your landlord to get a valiant turbo plus

Check the terms of your contract - the fine print is all important.

Sponsored Links
yes i have a contract. he is responsible for this work.

also by law he is required to ensure its in a safe working condition.

I just dont know who to turn to.

He also bled the radiators previously and it did the same thing soon after he left. I.e pressure shot back up boiler started shutting off again.

Ive reported him to the HSE and reported the dodgy engineer but not sure what will come of it.

In the mean time what else can i do?

Good - you have a contract. Who pays the gas and electric bills?

I do.

He also needs to compensate us for when we had to use an electric heater because the boiler was completely shut off.

Might not be what you wanna hear but......MOVE OUT!!!!

I bet in your 4 weeks notice the boiler will be fixed, maybe then you could decide to stay?

I know moving is a ballache but sounds like you got a llord who doesnt really give a to ss and this time of year too!!

When the months rent is due move out without paying it, there is your depo for the next place - get it!!

I know some boilers have seals in the head exchanger where the main water leaks into the central heating system. If you want to check this. Get the pressure down again to 1.5bar then turn off the main water to your flat. If it don't raise them this is the problemguranteed. I ask my customers to do this before you go to sleep as you need water in them day time.

The landlord seems to be in breach of contract. Therefore he has blown any rights to you giving him notice in accordance with the agreement.

I'd withhold rent and look to move out at your convenience. You may have lost your deposit, but you'll reclaim it via not paying rent.

The landlord seems to be in breach of contract. Therefore he has blown any rights to you giving him notice in accordance with the agreement.

I'd withhold rent and look to move out at your convenience. You may have lost your deposit, but you'll reclaim it via not paying rent.

Hmmm, good advice. And when the new landlord asks for a reference?

Yeah I can understand that but we don't want aa bad reference and I am on a low ish income and my partner is a stay at home mum that's why we had to go private rent in the first place. I just can't settle here and this is just horrible right before xmas

Sponsored Links
Back