I need some advice on this one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a whirlpool jacuzzi bath and has a motor to go under the bath. Can Fit a socket under the bath? or I need to get that under the floor boards?

Wile you here...
I want to fit some spotlights in the same bathroom and at the moment it's 240v

Can I use 240v LEDs spot lights everywhere? or they by law have to be 12v?

(I'm asking because on my point of view whatever stays above your head should be safe!!!! in 36 years of everyday shower never had the ceiling wet :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

P.S.
I'm working 18 hours a day my project.... sooooo tired :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Whatever you fit, it MUST be accessible.
A socket under a bath is a BAD idea. Fit an FCU on the wall outside the bathroom and connect the jaccussi to that.

By the way, the circuit MUST be RCD protected. Is it?

The lights must comply with the rules for the zone they are in. They may HAVE to be SELV (12v).
Check out the WIKI for info on bathroom zones. You will certainly need IP44 rated downlights. The lighting will require an RCD also.

Also you must notify your local authority before doing electrical works in a bathroom. They will want to inspect the works at various stages and this will include the lighting.
Information is HERE

Hi! thank you for your reply.
I'm an electronic engineer not an electrician, I know how to stay safe, but not much about legislation.

Very interesting reading the wiki you sent me :) thanks

Regarding my under the bath socket. I'm I allowed to have a socket under the floor board? maybe a garden socket? anyway there are electric cables under bathroom floor board.

And yes I'm replacing a consumer unit with one with RCD and MCB if is that enough.

Thank you

I know how to stay safe, but not much about legislation.

Very interesting reading the wiki you sent me :) thanks

Regarding my under the bath socket. I'm I allowed to have a socket under the floor board? maybe a garden socket? anyway there are electric cables under bathroom floor board.

Not much about logic either.

Why would you want to place a socket under the floorboards? Just because there are cables under there doesn't mean you should go shoving a socket under there as well. What happens when it comes to testing the installation in future? Or if you (for whatever reason) need to quickly isolate the pump? What happens when the fuse blows?

As Taylortwocities said, fit an FCU outside the bathroom. If needed, run new flew between the pump and the FCU so that it's a continuous run.

Sponsored Links
I'm an electronic engineer not an electrician
Makes two of us

I'm I allowed to have a socket under the floor board? maybe a garden socket?
How would you get to it to

[1] replace the fuse ( motor inrush current with pump loaded with water could occasionally blow the fuse )
[2] dry condensation from the plug and socket to be able to reset the RCD.

anyway there are electric cables under bathroom floor board.
They do not have fuses in them and are manufactured in waterproof PVC so are not significantly affected by dampness from condensation

And yes I'm replacing a consumer unit with one with RCD and MCB if is that enough.
I hope you are using an experienced and knowledgable electrician to replace the consumer unit as I sense (from your comments about a socket under the floorboards) that the design knowledge required to safely replace a consumer unit is not yet in your data base.

• For a circuit to supply a given load, how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use? (No, you can't just copy what's there because it's going to become your responsibility and what's there might be wrong.)

• Do you know which circuits can be ring finals and which cannot, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are? (No, you can't just copy what's there because it's going to become your responsibility and what's there might be wrong.)

• How do you calculate maximum demand and how can diversity be used?

• Can you correctly identify all components and connections of a circuit by method of testing or otherwise? In doing so can you identify or recognise anything wrong or dangerous with the circuit? You cannot assume that what's currently installed is OK, and you need to check it before starting work.

• Do you understand how the way in which cables are installed affects how much current they can carry? (No, you can't just copy what's there because it's going to become your responsibility and what's there might be wrong.)

• Where cables need to be joined, how should this be done / not be done and in what circumstances are different methods acceptable?

• Can you identify extraneous conductive parts, and do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of them?

• Which circuits should be RCD protected?

• How do you propose to isolate your supply so that you can connect up your new CU?

• Do you know what tests you would carry out on the installation - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

• When you apply for Building Regulations approval what do you plan to say will be the way you'll comply with P1?

you can put an electrical outlet under the bath so long as you need a tool to acsess it.. ie a screwed up panel..

but as previous spur outside the door..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back