12v MR16 LED downlight problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a problem with some 12v LED spots im trying to fit in a boat on a 12v system. In one of the rooms that I am fitting the lights when I switch them on only one out of the 4 comes on then when I switch the switch again maybe 2 come on and so on sometimes they all might come on. The strange thing is if I get one thats on and move it close to the other lights they also come on but you have to nearly touch each light.

Any Idea what is wrong? Do I need some kind of driver like you do when installing them on a 240v system.

Sponsored Links
What make/model are they.
How did you connect the string up?
Sounds like either poor connections or voltage drop issues!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
LED's are normally around 1.2 volt so there must be something in the lamp to drop the voltage from 12v there are two things that come to mind.
1) Will it work with DC
2) Will it work with 11.8 to 14.8 volt from a lead acid battery which is also being charged with a step battery charger.
For the tungsten lamps there is a special version for caravans and boats they are not as used in a house.

It does warn to use consent current driver not a consent voltage I have used voltage regulators to do this in the past but will need over 12 volt to use them.

I would guess there is a rectifier built into the lamp and it may be powering only every half cycle with DC this will not be the case.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back