DIY wiring job advice for kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, hopefully someone can give me some fairly basic pointers.

I have moved into a flat and am putting a new kitchen in. At the moment it has one overhead light on a dimmer.

I want to do the following work:

a) move & change the existing ceiling light to 3 wall lights (the ceiling light is having a window put in it's place)
b) add spotlights to plinth
c) add under cupboard spotlights

My wiring is relatively modern and is a normal loop system.

I am proposing to have the plinth lights and wall lights controlled by one switch and the under-cupboard lights controlled by another. Neither will be dimmers.

To add these in is it the best idea to have a cable running from each set of lights in the normal loop system then a switch cable running from the two I want to be switched together to one switch and the other set to it's own switch. Can these both be controlled by a 2 gang switch?

Or is there an easier way to do this? I understand for the spots I could use 240V mains ones or 12V with transformers. Any advice as to which would be best to use, and/or easiest to fit.

Lastly, I have read about 'P' information regarding building regs, and understand that this will need to be checked.

Long post, but hopefully someone will be able to give me some pointers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back