I need some advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi :D , i have posted elsewhwere but i have not had much joy, so i thought i would try here.

I have made some built in wardrobes using 18mm thick birch ply, i made the carcasses, then fixed the carcases to each other and the wall, i then fixed the shelves support battens and put the shelves in place. The problem is 3 of the shelves have a gap between the edge of the shelve and the carcass.

What would be best to conceal the gap :?:
Would a wood filler be ok :?:
Or what do you pros use to get the best results :?:

thanks

Sponsored Links
How big the gap? Are they not wide enough or aren't they sitting flush at the back?

A pro would redo 'em until they fit ;)

as deluxs says re-do them :D

you shure the sides havent opened out by a simmilar amount!!!!!
check the sides are parralel without a bow

or apply edging on the front and very small quadrant each side
you may need to flip the shelve to get a clean edge

thanks for ypur quick reply guys :D

There is a slight bow in the sides of the carcass, the shelves sit flush with the back and have a tapering gap at the side at it largest only a couple of mm. It is only 3 out of the 8 shelves with a gap at the side

I had all the carcass panels and shelves cut to size by the merchants and at £41 a sheet of 8x4 i cant really afford to redo the shelves (as there are no offcuts large enough). And to be honest as i am not a carpenter i am not sure how much luck i would have trying to scribe the shelves to fit perfectly.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You could tack in a bit of quarter-round to cover it.

Stained/varnished whatever to match the sides it should not be obvious that it is to hide a bodge, it should look like part of the design (and will be easier to dust)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back