I needed to fix the jet wash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But first, I needed to build a workbench in garage.

First workbench I've built, no plans, just made it up as I went. Cost around £100 worth of wood.
All screwed and glued and weights a bunch.

IMG_20220109_124151.jpg

IMG_20220109_124159.jpg

IMG_20220109_124245.jpg
IMG_20220109_163923.jpg
IMG_20220109_163928.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220109_124239.jpg
    IMG_20220109_124239.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
You might want to move the vice nearer the front of the bench before you bolt it down to make it easier to accommodate longer items.
Ask me how I know :whistle:

Grip a length of steel bar vertically in the vice.....it needs to be able to clear the bench front edge and this will give you a position to bolt the vice down.
A nice job you’ve made of that!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Of course. I was thinking horizontally.

I'll try move it but already drill holes. Worst case - I'll router out an elegant notch and it'll look as-designed

Nice but you may find it all moves about when sawing something in the vice, Perhaps fix to shed frame.

Agreed. For this and DIY shelving I have I've got some angle brackets to screw to the floor.

Mine is a full sized heavy engineering vice, bolted through the wooden top, then I added a 6mm plate underneath, rather than washers - to spread the load. I also added a leg directly under it, so that when hammering, it wouldn't bounce so much.

Thinking about it, I might make, and screw down, a "socket" or key into which the two front legs sit with the rear legs flush against the wall. This would allow me to lift it up and over should I need to move it.

Might be better than screwing it down

Of course. I was thinking horizontally.

I'll try move it but already drill holes. Worst case - I'll router out an elegant notch and it'll look as-designed
Make sure the top of the vice is at a comfortable height for sawing, filing etc. If necessary you could always put a block of wood underneath to lift it to the correct height and move it forwards at the same time.

If anything it's too high. I'll suck it and see. Bench height is 100+12mm ply. I'm 6ft1 so it's about OK.

Theory was I can cut legs shorter, I can't cut them longer

If anything it's too high. I'll suck it and see. Bench height is 100+12mm ply. I'm 6ft1 so it's about OK.

Theory was I can cut legs shorter, I can't cut them longer

Elbow, arm and jaws need to be at the same level. My vice is too high, because I made the bench at a working height and my vice is large/high, so when I need to do any serious sawing I stand on a block to raise my height a little.

I was taught never to leave a vice closed tight like that, reason being if you bump into the handle it will move rather than possibly injuring you. :)

I was taught never to leave a vice closed tight like that, reason being if you bump into the handle it will move rather than possibly injuring you. :)

As a youngster, using large engineering vice, I would constantly have the bar suddenly drop, nipping a finger and end up with blood blisters. I notice in the photo the bar has what appear to be rubber cushioning on the ends of the bar to prevent that painful occurrence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back