Needing a long drill bit that isn’t available.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

this is sort of urgent in many ways, can you help suggested anything?

basically, I need to join some wood together for my outdoor work area that is being built at the moment. I have sistered two posts together, glued and screwed, as this is the door opening area, it will take the weight of me, + workbench and at least a table saw and mitre saws. This is just shy of 90mm, and the screw will go in face grain, and it will be going into end grain. The size screws I have for this section is 120mm, which should give it plenty of strength, but I don’t have or can’t find a bit that is needed for the size of the wood to drill a pilot hole. I need a 4 ø 120mm long bit. I can’t go higher in ø size due to the small wooden strip, and I need this to connect to the frame of the work area.

i asked the guy in Screwfix and B&Q who suggested I cut the sistered posts into 3, drill and align with the next bit, do the same until I have a deep enough hole… another guy in screw fix said, drill with a bigger ø bit that is long enough then pack the hole with tooth picks then screw…

oh, I can’t screw at an angle as there needs to be a metal plate there.

Sponsored Links
This:

Screenshot_20230419-154528.png

Sponsored Links
Helllo, it’s not that I didn’t google, my wording makes bad results. My hole needs to be 4 ø and 120mm deep. The drill bit is that long yes, but it won’t drill that deep… it doesn’t say on this site, but amazon do for other drill bits and by Bosch blue multi mater bits they call it work length, and their size 8 ø x 120mm bit, the work length is 80mm.

I have put the drill bit into the drill fully ”seated” i then drill as deep as I can, then undo the drill chuck and slide the drill bit out 15ish mm, then drill again, I repeat this until I have either gone through deep enough or it’s no longer safe for the drill/drilling application.

so, I have googled… and looked at stores I could get to on Wednesday/Thursday

i am currently in south wales and I think I may of found a guy here that sells the bits at 150mm long but I think work length only at 90mm but I can try and do my cheat hack here.

Like I said ebay is where you buy stuff. Not many people know this.

200mm x 4mm here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304642996443

I didn't even use any search hacks, and it comes up straight away.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
What the hell are you both on about? What search hacks are you speaking of? You type what you want into google, why on earth would you search for something on ebay unless you were set on buying it off ebay?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back